Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Writing progress on Alexander Novel

It is somewhat difficult to find this blog any longer.  I have not used it as often as I did when I first began it.  I had occasionally posted a blog written here on facebook to share with followers who might be interested.  Having learned of memories on facebook, I began to write a few posts there that would be sent to me from years back.   I know that supposedly I can still find posts published on here. I am wondering now about all that now.

But the point of this was to discuss my novel on Alexander the Great that I had written a first draft to eventually turn into a published novel.  I have been rereading parts of it, sorting through it, and deciding if I continue to like it or not.  Since it is a first draft, and it was written with the attitude of attempt in mind, I have not yet written a second or revised version of it.  In fact, after reading it again last night, I was wondering whatever possessed me to think that I should write it at all.

But because I had become a bit defensive about Alexander, I had wanted to write a novel suitable for children to show the influences in his childhood that made him the man and leader that he eventually had to be.  His childhood is quite important to his drive, ambition, and conviction in his destiny.  Because when a child myself, I had been influenced to like or dislike a person in history, I decided that I would write a book that a child could read to understand and perhaps relate to Alexander in some fashion.

So I had just finished reading Trust Me, a novel about a mother who is accused of killing her only daughter by Hank Phillippi Ryan, that I began to think I should write this blog entry to explain my efforts with Alexander novel.  I had gone to see Hank when she appeared at the Poison Pen in Scottsdale years ago for a personal appearance on another of her novels.  I have read several of her books, and find her quite fascinating to read.  It helps to read authors for their own personal methods of presenting a story that can keep a reader interested and entertained.  Historical novels are a bit different in that history of that person is a known quantity so unlike mystery novels, there is little suspense.

At the autograph signing with Hank she pointed out that would be writers will be published only when they want to be.  One must want to produce, have the drive, and the momentum to finish a book.  Believe me, it is not easy to write a novel, rewrite, revise, ,and polish and shine it for publication.  Writing entails more than just getting the words on paper.

My problem had been that because I had promised myself I would not do this to myself, but finally decided to try it at least once, that I am still always pondering the decision as to whether it is wise to do it or not.  That is only because I had been so close to it for so long, and time has given me a new perspective that says yes, by all means, finish it, get it done, and get it published.  Even it is only on the pages of a  blog site like this or an independent self publishing way.  Just do it.

But because I had such a deep personal interest in it, due to my personal undertaking to learn all that I could, I became both defensive, self protective, and a bit wary of sharing this information with others.

Sometimes when one begins writing, something within pours information that is both personal and probably best kept confidential onto the writing pad.  In this case, a computer. I found two of my attempts disappeared on me, which made me suspicious about the possibility of someone hacking into my system. I am still concerned about two efforts that I would not publish at all, but which are significant to my story.

I just do not trust the internet or computer world much at all.

However, I will publish this to be only at this site. I will not share it on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment