Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Elizabeth Taylor

At 1:28 this morning, Elizabeth Taylor passed away. It is interesting to see how the various entertainment channels are discussing her legendary status. I am noticing a lot of things, one most pertinent is that a recent question about a bad date from Leah Marie Brown, which I did not respond to, came to remind me of when Liz Taylor had been used as a cover for the really bad date that my neighbor Lynn had fixed me up with when I was living back in Los Angeles. Her death also reminded me of Elaine Bruno through court reporting experience when Liz had tagged me as Liz in our role playing days! Seeing that MSNBC has somehow or other tied it in to my number's up game using her age and famous dates also made an impact on me. I see that they are calling her Mother Hollywood in some places, but the Diana in Heaven Parody and the Queen parody on Tweeter are discussing her death in ways that is very insulting and entertaining at one and the same time. Seems she is in Heaven discovering all the places where the diamonds are hidden, reminding me that I can still sell my diamonds if I wish. I will be interested in what Carol Burnett does have to say about this. I just won't write friend and neighbor Diane as I talked to an old friend and neighbor Janet today who is now in Laughlin having fun at the gaming tables.

Another Hollywood legend passes away, and what we the fans who have watched them have ot say never really matters much, but I did say condolences on a Tweet and then learned that one can go to her Facebook pages to say condolences there too. She has many fans and friends who wish to make their sympathies known, making me recall the small poster that I used in my classroom. When one passes, how many friends does one really have at the time of your funeral is a way to measure a man...that is so much nonsense also, but it is true that if you are of a certain type legendary status in your community, having reached fame's heights, you will attract crowds of people regardless of your real closeness to any of them. That is whether teacher, bartender, or whatever social standing you have finally achieved.

So I expect the entertainment industry will have all kinds of memories about Liz being extolled on the talk shows as usual where everyone will come in to remember when they had a connection to her.

One of her facebook pages had Marilyn Monroe and Goldie Hawn listed there also. Ridiculous as to how the gossip pages liked to have Liz complain about MM getting all the publicity. For stars, publicity is catnip and achievement. Nobody can be a real star without being discussed constantly ad nauseum. Amazing that she will not be around to see Kate and William tie the knot, being from England as such, but always reigning as the real Queen of Hollywood for so long.

I browsed MSNBC's gallery of photos about her life. She had married quite a lot of men and seems to have never found true happiness in her life with any of them except for the short haul. I think that marriage is often that way...the expectation is too great to ever achieve so that all are disappointed in Happy ever aftering, as there is no such thing in knowing what happiness ever aftering really is anyway. Some say he isn't happy unless he is grumbling about something, so if you can't make him grumble, he ain't happy.

Oh well, long live the legend of Liz now. She will be a great profitmaker for all the doll companies and publication firms also. Move over, Marilyn, here comes Liz now! I just can't get too sentimental about this. Diane, who is a former nurse, once said that often Death is a friend. I am hoping that for all Liz's notoriety, that her passing into the spiritual life has its rewards for her. All her fans can say is that she was extremely photogenically beautiful, gave some great performances, (I always liked her in Butterfield 8 and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof), and was fun and charming when she united with Carol Burnett for a television show. I think of Joan Collin's book Emerald also as its character often made me think of Liz Taylor. She certainly kept MGM in the money for years, as stars are supposed to do. Only one director really ever was cause for success of a movie, and that was Alfred Hitchcock. It is the STAR, baby, not the director. Elizabeth alone had the ability to draw big bucks which is what stardom is all about!

No comments:

Post a Comment