Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Computer Update

It has been quite some time since i have posted anything at this blog. I have been exceedingly busy.  I am trying to do a lot all at once.  But I did finally do myself a favor and bought myself a MacBook Air computer which I am in the process of learning.  I am a bit of a slowpoke at this since I spend only a few hours on it during the evening.  But to bring it all up to date I am trying to condense what has happened in the past week into a few paragraphs.   I had to go to Microsoft to have my old computer checked for a virus.  Fortunately, I learned that there is no virus on my computer.  But I am having trouble with my touchpad on both my old laptop and my netbook.  But the technician came to check it out and I learned quite a bit from him.  In addition to that, I am going to apple store to learn all I can about this new computer which I admit I like so very much.  I would easily recommend Apple to anyone who asks me.  It is definitely a computer that I am going to like after I learn all that I need to know to operate it efficiently.

I bought it to finish my novel on Alexander of Macedon as well as any other novels I might decide to write.  But I am only in the first days of learning this so it will take me a few more sessions before I begin to revise my first draft into a potentially publishable version. I think about it all the time though.

Despite the fact that I am virus free I do not trust the old Gateway computer now to write a novel upon. I did not use word on it anyway so that I can start completely fresh and new on this computer.  I just have to learn where and how.

I have been reading other author's novels in the meantime which always helps me to think about how to  make my own book interesting and salable.  I just finished reading Jenny Milchman's Cover of Snow which is about a small town's problem with police corruption.  Her story makes me think of the problem of pedophilia amongst not only religious bodies but also involving government officials and children's homes.  I read something about a scandal in the UK that involved government officials who used and abused children who resided in orphanages.  It was very sad to read that people's lives were threatened even in trying to expose that heinous crime.  Jenny's book begins with a suicide and the widow is the person through whom we hear the tale of the corrupt police force in this small town in New England.  Then I am reading Kinsey and Me by Sue Grafton whose explains early in her book the difference between detective stories, mystery stories, and crime stories.  What a fascinating distinction.  Her short stories are at least solved within twenty pages, and it is fun to read how she is able to detect and solve cases brought into her office.

Closing this...just an update on where I am on both computers and the novel...

No comments:

Post a Comment