Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Monday, March 18, 2013

New shoes

Nordstrom's is a very nice store here in the Valley.  There is the main store featured at shopping malls with regular prices, but at smaller shopping outlets are discount stores.  I frequent the discount stores since I live on a fixed income, low budget, and therefore, have enjoyed good products at low prices.  However, I was spoiled by a pair of San Antonio Shoes (SAS) which I was lucky to purchase for a very low price.  If one goes to the local San Antonio Shoestore, that same shoe will set you back a pretty penny. I was set back this afternoon by a pair of shoes which are so comfortable that I simply had to have them. I had stopped at E&J's to see if they carried them, since their name had popped up on my search screen, but unfortunately, they did not carry my size or style.

Earlier, I had shopped at My Sister's Closet, a consignment shop, and walked around the store, trying to decide if I wanted to purchase a pair of Prada shoes which were a half size too large for me. I finally decided that I did not want the shoes so instead went to the E&J store to see what I could find there, and ultimately, ended up in the San Antonio Shoe Store on Thomas Road to find an entire group of great shoes, both sandals and walking shoes.  These shoes are the very best shoes anywhere, no matter what anyone will tell you. I wore my first pair out so that I finally had to throw them out, but they were the most reliable and comfortable shoe I have ever worn. I have liked many other shoes, and am breaking in a pair of Joseph Seibel which I had also bought at Nordstrom's many years ago. But unfortunately, I never wore them due to a bit of a pinch in the left shoe. My left foot is bigger than my right...the shoes are a bit narrower than they should be so I have been stretching them to make certain that I get some use out of them.  In fact, they resemble the pair of Travelers that I bought this afternoon at SAS.  So tonight, I finally am able to wear my Seibel shoes after this many years. They are like brand new, having never been worn.  So now I am ready for both, one black, and one bone.

Nordstrom has two Rack stores which are discount items, at great prices, especially when on clearance sales...and they also have a Last Chance store where nothing can be returned.  You better love it if you buy it at that big a discount.  All the discount stores are always busy and probably outsell the main stores.  People buy in huge quantities so that the store does place limits on number of shoes and other items that can be purchased in a single day. I once bought a $100 slip for a very low price, so the savings are that fantastic for name brands that are very over inflated.

I read in a Forbes article that the most top billionaires in the world come from the fashion industry. Low labor coupled with high prices have made many a mogul out of fashion designers.  So it does not bother me to take advantage of a great store like Nordstrom's making it possible for the low income and moderate income family to enjoy consumer goods.  The very high end rich continue to keep each other well heeled and in the money.  But the rest of us are in a kind of war zone fighting our way to save pennies and dollars.

But today I did my part in keeping the local merchant solvent for this day.  But these shoes are worth it. I read the comment that the bed and shoes are the two most important items in your life.  You spend half your life in one or the other.

As L'Oreal ads like to say I am worth it. My health and back are worth it.  Comfort is all I want in a shoe.  But guess what...next thing I did was to go into a wholesale store where all shoes are $10.88.  All platform shoes and excessively high heels....only certain kind of girls go for that shoe...the bags were all marked at $16.99 and there were a few good items there. I laughed when I told the guy I just paid $150 for a pair of shoes....Oh boy, part of that was taxes and the salesman actually apologized for the taxes. I remarked that that is a reason I would like to move to Las Vegas. I am paying excessive rates in the state of Arizona on sales taxes, and I would like to know where it is going anyway...The traveler cost $137 at the store. At E & J it might have been only $80 and I would not pay $90 for the Prada pair at My Sister's Closet...turned right around, and told the salesman My bank will think I am crazy. But the shoes last a long time, and are worth it...but oh boy, I am too much like Jack Benny for words...that price made me wince!  But I am worth it....I am sure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment