Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Reason for Marie Antoinette film

The movie which the BBC showed in 1979 is a most interesting look at the life of Queen Marie Antoinette of France. It is a short presentation which gives only a glimpse into the problems that faced the Queen during these sorry times. I had just learned of it at Images through Axel, and while there, learned of an Italian who is consumed with a passion for Antoinette also. His name is Sergio who is an artist. His portraits of Antoinette are extraordinarily beautiful. Axel recommended this film so I just watched it, and found it very well done, considering that there is a lot to tell about this period of time. Antoinette is a very controversial woman whose friends and fans adore her and praise her, giving her the benefit of the doubt, and whose enemies hate her, and curse her for her apparent lack of empathy for the poor and dying peasants. Glossing over history is a sad thing to do to the real inhabitants. I had only known very little about French history during my youth, and it is mostly in recent times that I came to learn of the stories behind the French Revolution. Because when I was teaching at GHS, I was given a book by a friend of mine to read, I came to change my mind about the dreadful queen. Earlier, I had also had a very bad bias against her as she had reminded me of several self centered and overly extravagant girls who I had known in my life. One who I met at Michigan State University resembled some of her portraits and for a long time I always called this girl at MSU Antoinette. Years later, when a few dubbed me that when I was teaching in California I finally came to learn that some of the bias against Antoinette was ill founded. I had to read a few books about her to learn her side of the story in those dark days. Had I ever taken seriously the references to Antoinette regarding myself, I might have better understood some of the ongoing problems surrounding me when I was teaching in southern California. Like her, I was lied about, but they were also brought to my attention, but I dismissed them as nonsense in a way that is seen to have been done by her and her husband. It is difficult to understand how lies can actually take hold enough to make people believe them and act upon them. However, it is a mistake not to know that people will believe lies about you more often than they will ever believe the truth about you. So I am empathetic towards her now since I underwent similar problems that eventually did me harm as well. I probably should have listened better to all the comments that were being said, but when one knows that there is no truth to them, one does not realize that to those who do not know the truth they will swallow them whole. At any rate, I found the BBC story very interesting, which naturally presages the Princess Diana saga. I have a few inside things to say about that but will leave it alone for awhile. One princess and Queen at a time in a blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment