Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Sunday, May 5, 2013

My day at the Derby

First of all, I did not get any sleep the night before the Derby.  I had wanted to make this Derby the one where I would win my superfecta bet, but I could not make it happen.  I finally decided after all the work that I had put into it to simply choose the horses which had won four races so that this would be the fifth.  Orb was one of those, and Verrazano and Vyjack are the other two.

I won $25.60 on Orb because he turned out to be the favorite along with Revolutionary.  The day before in the Kentucky Oaks, Calvin Borel had been aboard Rose to Gold who for some reason or other took a turn left to nearly cut off Dreaming of Julia.  It was fortunate that they did not touch so far as I know but the video clearly shows that Borel cut out in front of Julia way too soon to try to get to the rail for which he is famous. When I saw that, I was furious because I had wanted to see Julia at her best winning away...Did he do it deliberately? Most likely, but he timed it badly.

So I got up early, decided to go to Turf Paradise because I had gone to OTB to  do the Oaks.  I was so miffed because I bet only the Oaks and I had bet on Dreaming of Julia, believing that she, Beholder, and Midnight Lucky would be making a race of it.  As it is, Calvin gave it to Princess of Sylmar. I went to his twitter page to see what was there because something alerted me to the fact that he was getting all kinds of criticism.  Some guy really took him over the coals. Surely, if you had bet your bundle on Julia you were creamed.  Pletcher did say that Julia got creamed at the Gate.  Another critic said that she had run her eyeballs out...it is all very annoying when a rider for some reason or other does something so outrageous as to turn you against him. I was so angry I could scream too, because Johnny Velasquez had just returned to riding from time out for an injury.  Frankly,  I don't think he should have been riding any of his horses either.

However, it is all water under the bridge, and often the jockeys have the trainers over a barrel since they made commitments they cannot change easily.  In the end, I know that a good jockey makes all the difference in the world, because I learned that all too well when a jockey took a horse that was behind a wall of horses to find room to get it through to catch the win. I remember that one because it was one I bet on after I read on Twitter that it was up for its race. I took note and decided to bet on it, and next thing I knew it was really having a time getting through all those horses jammed together, but the jockey maneuvered it so that it made it through...I won that day...my one and only bet. Rosario proved it with Orb also.  Had he not whipped him when he did, he could have come in to show.  But Rosario took charge with the whip so that Orb took off running.

 I have trained myself to be careful about betting excessively which is the downfall of any player.  Win and quit.

So yes, I won yesterday enough to conceal the pain of losing my bet on Julia the day before.  But I had had Julia as a Daily Double with the Derby so I was not happy that she got creamed.  But I did not have her paired with Orb so it does not matter.  I went straight betting.  Did have one exotic exacta box bet and Orb was in it, but I somehow or other, omitted Golden Soul who I had known was good for it...too bad.  But so it goes.

Now that the Super five has carried over to Thursday's game, I am considering playing it...if it is playable within my $range.

Everyone is ready for the Preakness.  Governor Charlie of Sunland Derby fame will be racing against Orb. Charlie is not one to overlook despite the fact that most believe that Orb is ready for the Preakness.  If Charlie does as well as he did at Sunland, but who knows since the track surface does matter, he  could defeat Orb.  I like him, and Brian Zipse told me that Departing is a likely contender also.  

Golden Cents will also be racing against Orb and he has the experience of the Derby behind him too so that it is altogether possible that he could look much like he had in the Santa Anita Derby. So right there are four horses that are capable of winning the Blackeyed Susans on Preakness Day.

For Orb backers, all are hoping for the Triple Crown.  That is a lot of racing in a short time but if he is as great as he has proved to be so far, he should handle it.  He has probably spent more time racing this year than all the other 3 year olds, so it will be interesting to see if that works in his favor or not.

My neighbor gave me a ride Friday for the Oaks so that I could get there sooner.  I told her I hoped to win $50 dollars...small change to big time bettors but to me it is a lot of money right now.  She said, "Just so you don't spend more than $2.00."  I laughed.  "I don't throw my money away," I said.  Ha!

So today when I told my story on facebook David Casson responded with but if you had bet $20 you would have won $256. I knew that. I would have had to put up $60 to do that though.  It is all put up the money for short bets. I like to put up short money to win long returns...I once won $4.00 on a ten cent bet.  A dollar would have been $40.  Don't worry. I will get that $100 will get you a $1,000 before too long. Just has to be the right time, right place, right race.

We inch our way to stardom in horseracing.  Patience will out!  thus, says Shug about Orb!

No comments:

Post a Comment