Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Now you see it, now you don't

I just deleted my story on The Secret Life of Walter Mitty...If you caught it, I would be in shock...I decided not to let it go as I just wrote it.

I did drive to Tempe to go to $2.00 Tuesday special, bought popcorn, coke, and even some whopper malted milk balls to nibble on while watching movie...It was mostly gone by the time the movie began as I got there a half hour early and had to sit and wait for the movie to start.

It begins with Mitty talking to a dating service after we watch him try to Wink at a girl he wants to date and get to know...she works at the Life Magazine office where he works and he had heard her talking so he has taken an interest in her.  Mitty is guilty of constant daydreaming which everyone around him calls "zonking out".  or Zoning out, whatever....

Despite sick people on the internet who do evil things by lying about each one of us, in this case we actually get to meet one of the jerks in the world of dating at Harmony who does end up not only talking to Mitty on the phone but bailing him out when necessary in person...there are really true live people inside the internet, sad to say, since most seem to be intent upon lying and deceiving each and every one of us about each other.

This guy does turn out to be a bit of a nerd but a nice nerd too.

I am not one of those people who will use internet dating services at all.  But in this movie, which of course, is as full of bullshit as is Mitty's daydreams, it works for the writers and producers.

With this fantasy of a story we see Mitty changed by his relationship to the girl he fantasizes so much and so he embarks upon heroic deeds so ridiculous that he gets many hits on his dating service at last.  His life has been a bit of a blank so far but at last his pages are filled with non end adventuresome stories that make Anthony Bourdain and others like him look tame...After all, that is what makes CNN and Travel Channels operate, pure fantasy crap like this whether it comes from fantastic dishes to eat or travels to make...


In this case, he reaches young kids every where with a skateboarding stunt that is worth watching the silly movie all the way through...His long search to retrieve a missing negative takes him to the top of Afghanistan where a picture of a sunset impacted me in its lookalike appearance to a watermark made on a paper towel when I was having my own unusual experience with water appearing on the floor of my kitchen...so I could see a match there...am wondering about all of that now as a result too.

Life Magazine does have its last issue. Now I wonder what the real front page cover is after seeing this one...it is part of the mystery of the movie so will not give it away here...

I have a few old Life magazines that I kept as collectibles...still in a state of preservation...don't know who would want them now...but maybe somebody would...

Made me think of me and Elvis Presley also...long story on that but I won't dwell on it yet...

Just went to the movie to get a break from problems ongoing...internet story about hostile cat is being overplayed in my opinion...


But my particular cat problem still rears its ugly head in my hand so I exercise my fingers by typing a lot...it does help...but hand is still too stiff to let go of memory...

I do recommend the movie as well as the short story by James Thurber.  Everyone should read the short story which I taught to sophomores at Cortez High School in the early 1960's.  62 and 63 to be exact...I still have that textbook I believe...

Enjoy...turn off your cell phones in movies please...don't want you to get shot by someone who believes in obeying the rules!

No comments:

Post a Comment