Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Saturday, October 3, 2015

My reaction to the movie The Martian

There are a slew of movies out that I would like to see, and so one of them is The Martian.  I did see it at the noon showing this morning in 3-D

This is a movie in which the eyeglasses create a visual effect that makes the movie much more satisfying and fulfilling when seen in dimensions instead of flattened appearance.  Just the floating in the sky lab alone made the 3-d effects worthwhile but many other features proved that the $ spent is worth it.

The Martian is based upon a book by the same name written by Andy Weir.  I do not know who Andy is but I keep wanting to say weird instead of weir and as the main character's name is Mark Watney, I notice that MW looks like BMW.  A missing B and D letter makes a lot of sense to me.

Several things in the movie caused me to reflect back to my childhood, to an experience in Durango, and upon a mountain landscape that looks like Superstition Mountain here in AZ.  Crapo, Mark was lucky that he had a nice desert landscape in which to ride around in his dune buggy.  Far better than the drive to Payson.

But finally after reaching his destination a number popped up which made it perfectly clear to me that this movie has targeted me.  Guess what. Then I learn that the handbook was published on my birthday in 2014.  Coincidence...not hardly   I know a setup when i see it.

So, o.k., I know how Mark felt when planting his potatoes. I had learned how to do that when I was a young child in Ohio. My grandmother taught me the correct way that she planted potatoes, and I always loved it when the plants grew and produced new potatoes.  There is nothing like pulling potato plants out of the ground, and finding a bunch of them hidden in the roots.  It is great fun.
But life is lonely on a country farm when all you have is your grandmother, grandfather, and a few cows, chickens, and dogs and cats.  I would play with the pups in the front yard, hiding in the many peony bushes, and played dead so that the dogs would come to see what was wrong with me. I could always catch them that way.

Memories like that are fun.  Watching your life flash before you makes me think that they really think I am dead. Hey! I am alive, but we played that game years ago on a t.v. show right after i had left California for parts unknown.

Anyway, back to the movie...Mark manages to prove he is superhuman by accomplishing all kinds of feats that even the most over skilled and over talented man could not possibly do, but being a resourceful person who refuses to quit, he finally manages to contact NASA to have open communications, proving that the accident which left him stranded on Mars while his crew mates safely blast off to safer parts has not defeated him.

Once NASA corrects its assumption that Mark was killed, officials must find a way to save him, to sustain him until he can be safely brought back to earth.  At this point, the plot steers away from Mark and onto the shoulders of the team back on earth who must find a way to save him.  In the meantime, his crew is finally told that he is alive and well, having left with the assumption and belief that he had been killed.

Jeff Daniels portrays the director of NASA in a rather brusque but pragmatic voice that lends a certain kind of credence to the political aspects of the space program.  The ethnic diversity provided a glimpse into the way that the space program has truly integrated the races into one because of intelligence and accomplishment in engineering and scientific skills.  The crew members however emphasized sexual equality more than racial equality.  All six were congenial partners for cohabitation on Mars if necessary.

For two and one half hours, the viewer is entertained by the glimpse into the work that would be required of anyone who would want to travel to Mars.  For JPL to have successfully placed Rover on Mars is a great feat, but so many more missions would be necessary to have equipment sufficient to handle and support a life system, that it would take many decades before one could even contemplate a manned flight.  Mars is not exactly a drop in for a few days and turn around to get back home spot.

Some of these drastic elements were well made in the story telling of saving Mark Watney.

Does NASA succeed?  Does Mark find hope in his farming effort?  Does his crew learn of his fate? Does Mark make it to his rendezvous spot?  Does his makeshift vehicle survive?  Does the world know of his fate?  Does it even care?

Tune in to watch the trailer or the teaser or better yet...got to the movie to see.  Maybe you will find something in the film that reminds you of your childhood? or your cellmate?  or your latest blowup in your face episode?  or maybe even your social security number?

Hey world! I know all the answers to these questions.  I have seen it.  thumbs up!





No comments:

Post a Comment