Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Friday, October 2, 2015

The Martian

Today, I decided to see the flick The Martian starring Matt Damon.

I have not read the book upon which this is based, The Martian by Andy Weir.  I began reading reviews of it a few minutes ago on Goodreads but my cellphone had to be recharged.  Will pick it up again after it is recharged just to see who likes and who does not like the book which turns out to be published in hard back edition on Feb.11, 2014.  My birthday.

First clue in movie that made me think I remember this is when he is planting potatoes to survive in his new habitat.  I was flashed back to Ohio City on my grandparent's farm to remember when my grandmother Mae showed me how to plant potatoes in the garden.    We had to hoe the ground, dig trenches, and then cut up potatoes into quarters, plant them, water them, and wait til they grew.  At harvest time, we would pull the plant out to find all the potatoes that were buried under hidden among all the long roots. I loved potatoes forever!

So this guy uses my grandmother's technique and grows his own survival kit of homegrown potatoes, the best kind.

My only companions on the farm were my puppies, and my favorite was a dog named Happy. I would play dead so that he would come over to sniff me and see if I was all right.  This guy in the movie does not play dead but is presumed dead when an antenna hits him in the chest knocking him out so that he cannot climb aboard the spacecraft to exit Mars.  He is left for dead. No doggies to come running over to see if he is dead or alive.

The guy's name is Mark.  Mark Watney.  Not BMW but close enough.  MW.  That is important to me.Monograms are always important.

O.K. Enough for now.  Am going to Live Journal for awhile.


No comments:

Post a Comment