Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Madame de Maintenon Part 4

Through the eyes of the King

Francois has a sharp wit and a keen eye,
She misses nothing, but minds her own affairs,
She appears discreet, humble, and unassuming.
She is such a sharp contrast to Athenais.
Demure, clam, aloof, she is frightening to many.
She seems to want nothing for her time,
Shunning marriage, suitors, and entertainments.
While Athenais must be the star, the center,
Francois prefers to avoid the Court altogether.
I doubt that she would bother with me
Except for the many children we have .
We talk quite often about my sons and daughters.
She assures me that they are healthy and well.
Except for my lame son who she nurtures as her own.
She tends to them while Athenais ignores them.
I study Francois carefully. She has no need of me.
She wants nothing from me.  What an oddity!
A stranger to my court where everyone presses me for favors,
She alone asks nothing of me.  How do I please her then?

So I question her.  I ask about her childhood.
She tells me stories that create pity in me.
She has traveled far, forced to cross the Atlantic
In a ship overcrowded, putrid food, rough seas,
To finally live with hostility and fear.
At 16, to escape the nunnery, she married.
Paul Scarron, a poet, an invalid, a man of letters,
Who taught Francois the skills of a hostess.
Quick to learn, Francois entertained all of Paris.
She bore him no children. Left a widow
Francois was known as discreet and humble.
Athenais trusted her to  care for our children.
Francois and Athenais depended upon one another.
I watched both women closely, for they fought
Screamed, and tormented each other loudly.
Who could possibly win this battle of wits?
The humble and unassuming Francois?
The haughty and mighty glamorous Athenais?

I waited.


No comments:

Post a Comment