Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

To Madame de Maintenon

From the King:

When I first heard her voice,
Low, calm, loving,
I waited to see her face.
Bent over the sleeping child,
She sang a ditty, a song,
Slowly, peacefully,
Lulling the infant to sleep.

She looked up to see me,
A soft smile, then laughter,
Francois winked at me,
Holding the babe in her arms.
Sitting upright, she sang softly,
The babe sound asleep.

I stared at her, carefully,
I walked over to her,
Picked up the sleeping child,
Carried him to his bed,
Humming softly all the while.

I laid him down to glance back
To see the governess nod,
Her face aglow with a warmth
That radiated love divine.
She rose, bowed, and departed.

I looked at the sleeping child,
His pink cheeks glowing,
His tiny fingers clenched,
Dark eyelashes lowered,
Resting in peaceful dreams.

"I am grateful to you,"
I bowed to the Governess,
"For caring for my son."
I believe that you are
Devoted and loyal to me."

She curtsied, looked up at me
With a sharp eye, lowered her head,
"My deepest pleasure, votre majesty!
"I love this child, your son,
I shall do my duty with the
Fullest Devotion and Love that I can."

I took her hand, lifted it to my lips,
 Bowed,  and took my leave.
As I walked out the door,
I raised my head to see my carriage.
Entering, I glanced back at the home
Where my child safely dwell,
Secure and safe, my beloved son.










No comments:

Post a Comment