Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Madame de Maintenon Part 5

Through the King's Eyes

Francois favors my Queen, Adoringly
Marie Therese, my cousin twice,
Pure Innocence, Sweet Child,
Princess of Spain, became betrothed
To Create an alliance with Spain.

I love her sweet character, her gentle
Way, Pious, Faithful, Loyal to me.
No bride could be so sublime as she.
Her language is Spanish, not French,
For she has never mastered Francais.
Dull in conversation, she knows
Nothing of Worldly affairs, Fortunately
For me to have her consent without
Argument. All that is hers is mine.

She adores me, expects me to to be
Faithful only to her, which I cannot do.
I love too many others to be loyal.
I am the rooster in the henhouse
Where all the women want me to
Admire them, gift them, love them.
As King I must keep my court
Happy, Content, and Fulfilled.


My Queen cries to my mother
Because of my love for Louise.
Louise rides with me to the hunt,
She soothes me in my pain,
She is patient, kind, and gentle,
Which my queen fears will
Steal me away from her.  She does
Not realize that our wedlock is
A matter of State, a Seal that
Cannot be Broken. A romance
Is an Affair of the Heart, To
Be Mended by only Love Divine.

I love my Queen with devotion
For She is the Crown as am I.
We are in a bond that is eternal,
While Louise is an affair of the heart,
For which she finally did depart.
Only a few can understand
The requirements for a King,

A queen must be of royal blood,
For children to succeed, to fulfill
The Nation's need, the State's will.
A King must produce successors
Who will continue to reign
For Prosperity, Fecundity, Peace,
Harmony, Order, Security.
The King's burden of state
Is ruled by men of quality,
But love is fulfilled by woman's
Frivolity, Affection, and Passion.

My Queen is my heart and soul,
She reigns with me in glory.
Sweet and kind that she is,
Louise fills me with bliss.
Each is important in her way,
No reason to fear while I play.
I love both with all my heart,
Tender Marie, Gentle Louise.
Only a King will care as I.


No comments:

Post a Comment