Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Copycats in novels

I mentioned earlier that I would comment on copycats. The movie and t.v. industry does it all the time. I read a NY Times review on Song of Achilles. It mentioned Mary Renault who naturally I thought of as well for her book Persian Boy. The New York Times critic said that Renault would not like this book. I have read only one book by Renault so I cannot say. I was sometimes resistant but eventually came to really like her manner of conveying her love affair with her version of Achilles.***** In my copy of the Iliad, Achilles has red hair but Madeline has decided to color him golden blonde. Authors choose their own images which may often conflict with reality. In my brief bit of research into Achilles, I learned that his father had taught him to be first in everything. I learned that he had a quick temper. He was able to see and converse with the gods and goddesses to whom he listens and respects. Unlike Madeline's version, he takes Briseis as his lover. She is his woman and his love. Patroclus has a woman in his life also. *****I wrote this on my cellphone so I know that somewhere I had some spelling problems.****I will admit now to myself that one of the reasons that I came to like the book was by the end of it I could see the resemblance between my own decisions regarding teaching and those of Achilles regarding participating in the war. I empathized a lot and realized that I have sometimes been acting and behaving a lot like he had done, but I won't go back into the battle of the classroom now even at this late stage...one major difference. My health won't let me, and if I did, I would probably end up just as he did, dead...so I have some respect for staying alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment