Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Value of Internet

The internet is the most amazing instrument on the earth. One can find and do most anything and everything on it.  There are frankly too many social groups for me to join.  There are too many books to read. I can't read or buy them all and I can't spend time in each one of them either.  But they are quite useful to know.  There is just too much information to digest.  I end up finally spending most of my time in only a few areas which becomes habitual after a while.

But what prompted this outburst of genuine love for the internet is the discovery of the Latis Foundation which has produced e books on the museums of the world, not just a single nation, but many.  I discovered this at Pothos.org from a source who is frankly a bit disturbing to me in his attitude but nevertheless, take a gift from whatever giver one may find.

In terms of academic achievements, and honors, most higher levels have to spend all their time in one narrow area, satisfying a group of faculty members in some way, and also meetings a need by that college or university to produce, so it works both ways in the world of academia, as both need each other to continue to survive. I have helped a man get his masters degree by editing his work for him and I learned a lot from that experience about the schools, faculty, and student. 

I could have and should have obtained a degree of my own but I could never decide in what area that I wished to spend that much time just to earn a few more bucks on a teacher's salary,  That was the main motivation thirty odd years ago.  Instead of doing that, I ended up going for the certificates and lower end of the educational experience realizing that time is money, and money is time, and it would be best to simply find a career or job opening than waste time in higher education.

Today, because when one has enough time on one's hands, one finds a way to spend it reading and searching through the library where I have nearly accumulated a  library type program of academic achievement that only those of who are self taught understand.  I have devoured enough books for two or three masters and possibly several phd's as well. But that is not how degrees are earned.  I am learning more and more about history as time has passed which is a study I long ago abandoned after spending years regurgitating dates for scholarhship tests.

However, this little treatise is due to the way some academics express themselves.  I will admit that most of the history books that I have been reading lately do not really ever achieve greatness because they are so poorly written.  I am at fault myself for not realizing that sooner or later a dabbling in times past would mean that I would try my best to make something of it that is meaningful. I should have written down the title and author of every book I ever read, but I did not do it.

So it goes...I will see how I fare with my creation on Alexander. I occasionally lapse into writing about Louis XIV now and then...Such a shock to me...Narcissus has nothing on me, does he?

No comments:

Post a Comment