Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Remembering Antoinette on Oct. 16

Most fans or followers of Marie Antoinette know that she met her death on Oct. 16 in France.  I noticed that little was mentioned about it this year on the various social groups.   But at the discussion group there were three references shared by the moderator with the followers. One was an interesting discussion by Mme. Guillotine whose passion is Antoinette.  I thought to commemorate the occasion I would try my own look into her mind on the day  of her execution.

This is written extemporaneously as I sit here, so it will be original...Put yourself in the former Queen's shoes as she awaits her end.
an he
Hail Mary, full of Grace, I silently whispered to myself, fingering my fingers as if they are rosary beads...Pray for me now and at the hour of my death."  Death, what is that to me now?  My husband, poor dear man, he is gone...my children...where are they now?  All taken from me...what is to me to be taken to the scaffold?  I think madly as I ponder the prayer over and over in my mind...Jesus was led to the cross...I will be led to the scaffold...Oh Lord, give me strength...I pray thee.  I adore thee. I thank thee...fumbling, I am willed to act normally as possible...what can normal be at a time like this?  My children, oh my children...I wish  I could see their shining happy faces as they had been...the Versailles...so long ago...so many times  the King and I ....oh stop it, Antoinette!  Stop this chatter...your mother would disapprove of you now...but I am doing nothing but waiting...waiting for the tormentors to come get me...I have dressed, my hair has been shorn,  Hail Mary, full of Grace, pray for me now and at the hour of my death...Blessed is the seed of thy womb, Jesus...Oh Mary, hear my prayer...I hear the sounds of footsteps...the door is opening...they have come for me...I hastily pull my gown around me, I run my hands through my hair, I clutch my fingers for my rosary beads,  I cry out, Oh, no, don't make me have my hands tied, but they don't listen...they did not do that to the king,,,why are they doing me like that?  Oh, dear Lord, dear Mother of God, pray that I can make it through the door...I don't look back, I look straight ahead...I don't pay any mind to the onlookers as I can feel their stares on my back, on my face, on hands...oh, My, why do they hate me so much?  I cry out to God now,  Let me have peace,  let me know that my children are safe...oh Mary, Mother of God, protect my children...I say the rosary prayer repeatedlyover and over as I walk unsteadily...I have to stop to let loose my bowels before I can ascend the wagon that will carry me...I am bleeding again profusely...it must be my nerves...Hail Mary, full of Grace, give me that peace that will carry me to my rest...dear Lord, hear my prayer...I am pushed onto the cart, my hands tied behind my back, and I am bleeding, but nobody sees,  I can hear the sounds of people as the cart lurches forward, but I am numb to their voices...I look straight ahead, I think only of my children, my mother, my brother, oh, Heavens, may he pray for me now...I think of the King...dear, dear Man, oh, how I sobbed when they cheered at his death...They are screaming at me...I can barely hear their sounds,  Hail Mary, Mother of God, pray for me now and at the hour of my death...I can do all things through Christ which strengthenth me...Oh, how wonderful the King was to me when he watched me dance on stage as the little shepherdess...how many wonderful joyful times we had had...oh, who is that pelting me with stones?  I feel like Jesus as he walked through the crowds carrying his cross. Oh Jesus, be my comfort, my saviour, let me go in peace. I can and will submit to thee and thy will.  Forgive them, dear Jesus, they do not know what they are doing....I pray that this will be over soon...oh, I am told to disembark...we are at the scaffold...loud cheers...I hold my head up, I won't let them see my need,  oh, I am sorry I hear myself saying to someone as I stepped on his toes, and then I am being led...dear God, dear Mother of God, pray for me now and at my death...I am resting my head upon a beam...I submit to thee oh Lord...Give me peace...Save my children...I am in your hands forever....Hail Mary....

No comments:

Post a Comment