Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Zenyatta and the Breeder's Cup

I have waited a few days before finally making any kind of statement. I did tweet that I believed that it is probably best for the world of horseracing that Zenyatta won second place in the way that she did, just a wee bit short!

I feel this way because too much expectation was made on this horse, and way too much publicity was given to her, making her the target for those who wished ill upon her to have their way.

I did respond to one facebook discussion of her that involved her being a horse instead of a superstar. As a horse, she is a phenomena for this time period. There is still no horse that approaches Man of War, who actually had to carry the extravagant 130 pound weight to slow him down a bit. It certainly would have put pressure on his heart with that much extra weight. He lost one race also which is the real reason I believe that 90 years later it is only right that Zenyatta maintain the same kind of record...He raced 21 races, lost one; she raced 20 races, lost one.

I do believe had she been put up nearer the front immediately that she would have won! All that dirt in her face did not help her situation. The jockey should have at least made it more comfortable for her by keeping her steady in the center of the back instead of at the back of the pack. But whether jockey or trainer did that to her, one or both will have to live that one repeatedly to consider whether they did right or wrong. I believe they did wrong. She was an easy winner if given the right ride.

So it goes. That is horseracing luck. We, who play the game, understand that very well.

I bet lightly that day! I have no one to blame but myself for my decisions. I was just hoping and praying that she would win. It didn't happen. I realized that it might not happen, but I had hoped otherwise.

I wish she could continue to race. She is certainly well and healthy enough, but breeding it seems is what the game becomes after some years. Guess the owners know what they are doing. After all, it is only MONEY!

No comments:

Post a Comment