Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Monday, January 31, 2011

88 starring Al Pacino

I have been catching up on movies that I have never seen, and often never knew existed. This movie 88 is one that I had never known anything about at all, but its story is a strange one. I checked out a bunch of movies last week, some of which I decided not to see, once I received a notice from the library about one that is new and must be returned. Someone did me wrong song and so I had to correct an error made at the library, but do not know what happened. I am not truly paranoid, but I have been well aware of the fact that people have been picking on me.

I could cite instance after instance, but this one truly perplexes me. I had a library card and nobody but nobody has ever used it but me. There were four movies charged on my account that I did not make. I do not know how they got there, but after explaining why I was making a complaint, I learned this about the other films. She did correct the problem for me, but said that perhaps someone in my family may have used my card. I said no. That is impossible. Frankly, the only people who could do this is inside the library in my opinion for who else would have access to my account but someone inside. At any rate, I ended up getting a new card with a new number and then found this movie 88. 88 stands for minutes in this flick.

It is about a serial killer who is out to get even with a forensic psychiatrist whose testimony has put the killer behind bars for the past nine years and now is about to be executed for having killed several women in a brutal and sadistic way.

The forensic psychiatrist is portrayed by Al Pacino and he gives a very believable performance in his Columbo type appearance. He also teaches and so most of the film is about his students in his classroom who are studying to become as savvy as he is in his work.

In the meantime he is being threatened with phonecalls about his impending death, and the calls are being made to harrass him but also to help prove that his testimony was faulty so that the convicted killer can get a stay of exeuction. Through the movie we are reminded of other serial killers, Ted Bundy, and others whose names I prefer to forget momentarily, as all of these killers are terribly psychotic and evil, and frankly, the entire movie is so depressing that one wonders why and how anyone can watch such stuff...yet because I have a personal interest in the Ted Bundy murders, I was spellbound and sat riveted to the finish of the film.

It is very fast paced, well directed, and certainly well acted. It has surprise twists, frightful pictures of torture, sadism, and death, and is scarey as hell. It served to remind me of a movie about Ted Bundy which was made shortly after I visited Anaheim one year and met up with a security officer who gave me a ride to the Disneyland attraction. This was a reminder to me of that, as I used Ted Bundy as a reason for some of my behaviour. Later, our conversation was a part of the film about Bundy. I was in Florida when the attack on the girls in the Chi O house at the university happened. Ted had come all the way from the state of Washington to Florida to commit another one of his crimes. It coincided with something I did in my apartment using the secrets of the house to demonstrate a point. So this movie reminded me of that again, as did the tie in to the library card and the title of the movie.

The 88 in the movie has a reason which is very sad to understand. The plot of the ovie is so thin until one remembers the Charles Manson cases to know that young girls are easily manipulated with drugs, mind control, and seduction by evil men to do what they want them to do. So yes, it can happen that some woman can become the tool of some man to do his bidding. The twist is not so unusual after all, remembering the likes of Squeaky Fromm and others...

It is horror story...one that ends satisfactorily...after all, it is Hollywood and fancy that...movies make for happy endings...Al Pacino stays alive!

Theatrical trailer will follow if I find one...this movie is incredibly important to see despite its horror story. Be careful at all times...

No comments:

Post a Comment