Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Monday, June 27, 2011

Writing skills

I have been debating whether to submit my manuscript from the nanowrimo group to Create Space or not as the deadline is June 30 if I want to have a free copy made from my first draft. I am really reconsidering it as I do not want it to be published in its present form and while I can naturally correct all the typos and errors of grammar, spelling,etc. easily enough, the real work is in revising the novel as it is in its rough stage at which point it is not ready for publication.

I am very self critical, and while I like much of it, as my basic premise is that I want to show the importance of Alexander's childhood on his adult decisions, I am imitating Homer's use of the Iliad and other Greek authors of the day who incorporated the use of the gods and goddesses into their writings. I do it minimally but enough to remind the reader that Alexander was always under the influence of the gods around him.

In real life today, I likewise believe in spiritual entitites that are around us.

So it is easy for me to accept that Alexander and others like him did recognize and visually see some of the gods whenever they would make their appearance to be seen by whoever it was that they wanted to recognize them. In the Iliad, Achilles is able to see the gods or goddesses when they chose, and so in my novel, Alexander likewise is able to see the gods and goddesses as is also Philip and Olympias.

This is very important to understand so that it explains much of Alexander's behaviour as he works his way through the Persian countryside and deeper into other regions surrounding that area, including India.

So while I am imparting this to the modern reader who is not so educated to this belief, it is quite a challenge to make it believable. Myself, I believe in it.

However, modern day methods include a lot of conflicts, and usually modern novelists have to create tension, problems to be solved, and otherwise, similar tricks of the trade to keep reader's interest. My novel lacks a lot of tension at this point as it is mostly keeping to the historical narrative of all that happened to Alexander in an accurate depiction.

Most of the real tension in the study of Alexander is between him and his father. This shows up a bit in my version of his youth but I did not develop it as much as I probably will need to show how Alexander stands up to his father but acquiesces to his tutor. There is a great deal of tension in Alexander about his teacher Leonidas but he seems to swallow his feelings and bottle them up, until he is forced to throw a fit or two to get his way.

Actually, all I am doing right now is talking aloud to myself about the problems I am having with the novel before I can get it published. So in essence, this post is just letting it all hang out. To publish it now or not...that is the question...with absolutely little tension, just a skeletal construct...what to do? I decided I will write another blog on blogger and turn it into a book someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment