Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Sunday, January 25, 2015

China's dog meat trade

In recent months, there have been petitions trying to impact the use of dogs in China for food.  Tonight I received a post that illustrated how the Chinese use puppies to eat for their meals.  The cruelty of the method sickened me so that I am using this blog just to emote.  I am outraged about it but there is absolutely nothing I can do. I have often seen Chinese markets that made me nauseated but nothing has disturbed me more than the sight of this poor puppy being used to fill some Chinese belly!

Yes, we can sign petitions.  We can write letters. I see through Change.org that there are several petitions.  More disturbing was the fact that a town was celebrating its dogmeat festival for which there was a petition to stop it.  That petition was a sound and sensible warning to the Chinese of the dangers in eating dog meat.  It mentioned how many dogs in that particular region suffered rabies, and how often that particular town had had trouble with rabies.

In making a remark about the insanity of this kind of mistreatment to a poor animal, I received another which was worse. There are videos on youtube which also show the horrors of the dog trade in China.  I read the explanation and warning about the effects of watching the film so that I would not watch it. I cannot stand cruelty to animals and I did not want this to enter my consciousness since the author said it might stay with me for years.  It is so horrendous to watch.

All the comments on this European effort to change life in China was to denounce the Chinese of course, but many are full of despair and negativity about the chances of change in China.  The Chinese do believe that their diets should include such fare as this so that they harvest animals cruelly.

The friend who sent it to me said that they had no soul.  It does show that they do not fully understand the concept of lovingness.  They do not get joy out of seeing a baby animal in the same way that we do.  What kind of people is it that can do this to a helpless animal is what I want to know.  I know that environment has always been a reason that sociologists and psychologists explain behavior but this is the saddest and sorriest community in the world that has never learned to care for and protect animals.

It puzzles me to see how much joy in life that these Chinese people are missing.  They are truly amongst the poorest of people in the world in that respect. I remember reading years ago how Mao Tse Tung had said that while they were poor they could at least paint flowers.  If you can paint a beautiful flower, why can't you value you a precious life?

I am distressed about this.  Let us hope that we can bring change to this body of people who so dreadfully seem to need it.  Only a starving fool would ever treat a dog in this fashion!

No comments:

Post a Comment