Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Trip to Car Dealer

On October 6 my car will be exactly two months old.  Let me tell you that when I first bought this car I was so intimidated by it that I could hardly believe it.  I have not had a totally computerized car until now and it frankly is very intimidating to learn all the aspects of this wonderful vehicle.  So when I first bought it I will admit that I was walking in a dream land of a kind.  I selected it because of the four year warranty and maintenace plan which can be extended to six years and 100,00 miles...for four year it is 50,000 so go figure that last two years which can get as many as an extra 50,000....Where would I go in those two years I am wondering...I am sure I could do it if need be but so far I am looking at only four or 50,000.

At any rate, that is the reason I was interested in the car.  Free sounds good to me.  I figure that the manufacturer really believes in his product.  My first Chevrolet that I bought had a part fall off the first month I drove it, and I had to go in to meet the owner of the company, Mr. Summerfield, to get satisfaction. I have not forgotten that. So many Buick owners complained to me about windows and other parts not working properly that no wonder GM went under so much.  The automobiles were not made that well, and there was no pride in workmanship. So for an automaker to actually believe in its company and product impressed me no end, not just because it is unheard of in an American made car but probably most others. I do see that KIA offers a ten year or 100,000 deal of some kind but I do not know about maintenance costs.  I like maintenance free and all parts except tires covered.  I worry about tires of course as they are very expensive but also special built tires as well.

So finally after I had a warning on my screen that I had low tire pressure I decided to go back to the dealer to talk about all the finer details which had been explained but totally forgotten to me.  I am a klutz when in fantasy land.

BMW now has two or three geniuses who are especially trained to work with clients so that I had my first talk with a genius who explained all about the things I wanted to know.  Like how to turn off the air conditioner.  I had read the owners manual, but still under climate control, I could not find where or how to turn the a.c. off.  I finally learned how to turn it off and on.  Then I went through the programming of radio stations and other data that I want programmed into my car.  Then we toggled and played with the I tool which is indispensable in this car, and I learned how to navigate and how to find anything that I need to know right at my fingertips.

I had worried about the air pressure in the tire but I did think that the car would let me know if anything was wrong. I was right. It did and the tires needed air. Fortunately, my next door neighbor was kind enough to fill it free for me. My next door neighbor is a local gas station and the kid who worked there early in the morning was very nice to me.

Unfortunately, I cannot buy gas from him.  BMW has allowed only certain gas dealers to be acceptable for use in this particular car, so I can find gas at either Chevron or QuckTrip and some others which I have not really noted.  But no, as I did ask, I cannot go to Albertson's or Fry's for gas.  It does turn out that I can shop Safeway to get rewards as Chevron accepts those.

Isn't life interesting. I once won a food card at a local bank opening and it was for Safeway too.  Hmmm!

Anyway, I finally have it altogether now, have lost my fear of the car, and am no longer intimidated. It is the most expensive car that I have ever owned despite the fact that I once had a sports Cougar...it was a used car bought with a discount due to the teacher's union.  But BMW is definitely a trustworthy and sound car as I have learned over the past two months.

My philosophy now is that I must do myself right in my old age. I  did not always do that for myself when younger, always living by the almighty dollar. I have decided that the few things in life that count, bed, shoes, and vehicle must be the best for me to enjoy my last years on this planet.

So I studied the car situation and decided that the BMW is the best value for the money with the four year free maintenance.  I love this car.  It is fantastic.  Now I can go places!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment