Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Getting Ready for the Breeders Cup

I posted several Man O War videos on this blogspot because I happen to love this horse, and felt I should make a place for him here. I have been reading blogs all day long preparing for the upcoming Breeders Cup races which will be held November 5 and 6 at Churchill Downs in Kentucky.

Zenyatta is the super horse for this generation. I remember when Secretariat raced and I followed that horse as he attempted to win the Triple Crown, the jewel of racing for 3 year olds.

The Breeder's Cup is a race for all the top winning horses to come together to find out which one on that given day has what it takes to make its owner super rich.

Man O War was famous in 1919 and 1920, some twenty years before I was born. My dad was 4 years old and my mother was born in 1920 so she was just an infant when he was so famous. I had read his story some time ago and came to realize that he is one of the most special horses in history for racing, and I absolutely came to adore him. He has a statue at the Las Vegas Hilton in Las Vegas in the rear of the building at the sports entrance. That was how I came to really learn of him as I had often entered that door to try racing there. So when I finally learned of his history, I had to thank the Hilton for honoring him there.

Goldikova is a filly hoping to win a Breeders Cup race for the third year in a row, and she is considered the most likely to do it. Fillies will race on Friday and the boys race on Saturday.

I am hoping to play a pick six on both days if I can figure out the program in advance.

All racing is risk and chance, but supposedly there are some pretty safe bets that a given horse has not yet found another horse who is quite as capable as that one to win a given race, so we are hoping that holds true for the Big Classic race which will see Zenyatta trying to win it back to back as she won it last year.

Big Red, which is what Man O War had been called, had won 20 out of 21 races. Zenyatta is undefeated in 19 out of 19 and her twentieth is supposed to be her final race before retiring also.

Man O War was clearly and remains clearly probably the best horse to ever run in racing history, considering the kind of racing that he had to perform, as he carried weights which were excessive: 130 lbs. That is absolutely horrendous to my thinking.

Each and every horse has its own story to tell, but none caught the public's fancy quite so much as Man O War and those who learn his story soon realize his true worth at the time to not only the sport and the public, but to the future of horse racing as well.

Mankind's most peculiar trait it seems is to always want the spectacular, the bizarre, the unusual.

So it is only as certain as taxes and death that someone somewhere will try to match or top a record! This is the year for Zenyatta to prove herself. She is our generation's current superhorse!

No comments:

Post a Comment