Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Friday, January 18, 2013

Movies and Real Life

I watched two sets of movies this past week. I never take any movie seriously or as anywhere close to truth. I was raised to believe that movies are entertainment, seldom approximate real truth in any way, and therefore not to be taken very seriously. Most movies are imagination gone amuck so why get so involved in the accuracy or correctness of them since that is not their purpose.

Historical movies always get criticized but the truth about history is that pure facts are often dry, boring, and ordinary.  The entertainment industry over exaggerates, magnifies, and minimizes ordinary tales so that it will make sales.  If you want the truth about history, it is doubtful that you will ever get it because even historians themselves are loath to write anything but the story as they wish it to be seen. In other words, it is mostly propaganda.  Events of themselves are often very boring, trite, and frankly inconsequential. 

Unless I have a mental block of some kind, I am a very rapid learner. I can pick up on most things pretty rapidly. However, if I show a resistance to it, I am a very slow learner and need it to be repeated frequently so that I finally absorb it.  Mathematics and computer skills appear to fall into the most resistant kinds of learning that I have undergone.  Some aspects of computer life come easily but as I spend very few hours on the computer, I forget a lesson once learned and must repeat it to relearn it.

Anyway, I digressed there a bit. I was talking about movies because I had seen a really well made but trite plot of a movie called Country Strong.  The star of the show is naturally a Willie Nelson kind of critter, in other words, an alcoholic and drug user.  She is facing a comeback after defaulting on a show that she was supposed to give, having had some kind of breakdown following a drinking bout.  She is therefore considered fragile material now and her husband who happens to be her agent as well is trying to get her to face a comeback performance at which she totally breaksdown and cannot complete it.  It is a bit of a reminder of the lifestyle that Elvis Presley has lived, and at her death, (sorry for being a spoiler here) she is a reminder of the royal performance given to Princess Diana at her death and funeral.  The casket loaded with flowers made me think of Diana.  In reality, she is a fictious character who has a crew of interesting characters who either support her or threaten her.

(I despise my computer now for erasing the last paragraphs I had just written.)

The line that the young wanna be star says to the good guy upcoming sponsor of the aging alcoholic hit a nerve in me...Do you still like me?  she says...Who does that sound like to me?  And of course everybody who has been listening to me for any length of time knows...Omar, who else?

So that gave me an interesting insight into the writers of this plot.

Because I am ticked I will end this now and publish it. Besides, I have lots to do today and must get at it instead of sitting around on a netbook computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment