Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Women in Combat

I read today that Leon Panetta has made it possible now for women to serve in combat.  This seems to be an important issue to women who want equality.  Frankly, I am opposed to this decision.  I do not think that women should serve in combat.  Before making this decision, I would have thought that all these political figures would have considered all the negative reasons for keeping women out of combat. My first thought is that of a woman caught and held as a prisoner of war. Will she be given the same treatment as men are given?  I know that torture is a normal means of punishment in the Islamic world, and I know that women there are not given the respect and consideration that men are given so what would the Taliban do to an American woman who they hate and deny?  I do not think that it is wise for women to try to test them on that situation should it arise. I doubt that many women could survive the treatment.

So, no, Mr. Panetta, I think that the Obama administration has erred in this decision. I think that it should have been thought through more thoroughly.   Sure, one can be positive to think that women wish that they could be superwomen, but in fact and truth, none can be.  Women at the mercy of an enemy will suffer worse treatment than men have suffered, not better or improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment