Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Dana Landing in Mesa and Gilbert

I called Barnes and Noble this morning to see if I could have them save me a copy of Gwen Hernandez's Scrivener for Dummies that she has written. i am debating whether to take a course online from her on how to use Scrivener but for sure I wanted to read her book that she has written. I read a bit of the intro and liked it immediately.

I had just gone to Biltmore Apple to have a one on one with a girl who turns out to be from El Paso and who had been an English major in college  also.  I was trying to relearn hyperlinks and she showed me something new in it so that it came a lot easier.  Turned out that we have a mutual interest in our literary interests as all her favorites are also mine.  But I had read mine much sooner than she did and at her age I am wondering about her now.  I cannot believe that a 28 year old girl could have read all the books that I had done in the 60's.  I am highly suspicious about this even yet.

 But she helped me with the s.d. card and told me not to worry about ruining the s.d. card...she was sensible.  She also helped me to get rid of the Verizon popup that was irritating me.  And she even was able to get a map of Phoenix to Mesa so that I could find my way from the Biltmore to Barnes and Noble.

I learned about the Faulkner/Hemingway feud which I made a note of while relearning hyperlinks on pages. Pages has a new icon, having changed the ink bottle into pencil and paper...I did not even notice it until she showed me. I asked her about the one on one sessions for next year and she helped me to understand that situation too.

So I made my way from Phoenix to Dana Landing to find Barnes and Noble and sure enough, I had little trouble in finding both the place and the book. I bought it with a bit of a tussle with the seller/cashier because I wanted to look through it before purchasing it...I held my own.

Then I went to Pei Wei, an Asian fast food type restaurant, where I had caramel chicken with white rice and vegetables.  It was quite satisfying since I had not had breakfast even and have been hungry all day. It is all that I have eaten this day.  Except for some pieces of delicious ham that I finally put into freezer bags and into the freezer. I ended up with 18 bags of ham that should see me through February or til February 15.

So now finally I may begin tackling this novel at long last as I think I should do now.  I rewrote it again while driving cross town. I do that all the time, and I know that all the ideas that pop into my head I should write down.  But you know the way it is with writing....once started, it is like popcorn or Lay's potato chips...you just can't stop.

I finally turned on my navigation tool in my car to come home. I had realized that I should have turned it on going there but i had already checked it out on the phone map and I was sure that it would not be difficult to find...and I was right about that.  I think my navigation tool is wonderful despite the fact that I did not always listen to instructions.  I would not take the freeway when it is twilight and near dark. I won't drive on it in the dark.   I had had a panic attack while going down 44th street near the airport when it all of a sudden turned into a serpentine road that i could not see more than a few feet ahead of me...made me mad as all get out but luckily I was alone so I could drive at snails speed on it...My first time on it so I was a bit unnerved by it as I have been cussing out these serpentine roads that Arizona engineers have been building...what the heck is the matter with these dimwits?

When I reached Basha's where I had to pay my utility bill I turned the navigation off.  I did not need it but it was interesting to see it in operation.  I will use it much more often from now on. I love this car more and more all the time despite my misgivings about a few things about which I cannot control.

I am always trying to decide how much to develop Alexander's parents when he is a child.  Many authors spend a lot of time on research when writing a novel.  The truth is that all research can reveal is the locations of events but it can never give you the everyday minutiae of routine living.  That will be author's imagination totally even if based upon historical records.  Historians cannot put the words into the character's mouths accurately because all that historians do is copy or paraphrase the stories that were known in that time.  Which means it is all hearsay and really cannot stand up as to anything but an attempt to keep some kind of written record whether true or false of the events of the times.

So now I am going to read this book for dummies to see if I can make this program work for me.  As I have a first draft attempt on a possible way to present the early childhood of Alexander, I must now see if I can improve upon it through this use of Scrivener's word processing tool.


And on that note since it is 2:30 now I am going to bed hopefully to fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.  Good night.


No comments:

Post a Comment