Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Happy Birthday Edgar Allen Poe, January 19

To celebrate the birth of Edgar Allen Poe, Michael  placed an article about his strange death on Facebook.  I had not given Poe much thought in recent years. He has always been one of my favorite poets and authors. I love the short story, The Cask of Amontillado.  It was in our high school literature book so that I taught it frequently to students.  A poem called Annabel Lee is another of Poe's works that I like a lot.  The Tell-Tale Heart, and of course, another poem, The Raven, are well known.

What I did not know about Poe is the cause of his death or the manner of his death. I was surprised to learn that he had died wearing strange garb and apparently in a state of addiction.  He is often painted melancholy, eccentric, and alcoholic.  Most of his works are morbid.  But he is fascinating and has caught the imagination of many a literary student.

But the right book about him has not yet been published.  The article so fascinated me that I thought what a great book could be written about him.  His eyes perked up when I said that aloud.  I thought, Aha, he liked that idea!  I rather fancy that the right author might find Poe sitting next to him putting thoughts into the author's mind...


No comments:

Post a Comment