Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Computer Problems Never End

It is very difficult to be angry with something that has made life so much  more interesting for so many people.  The computer and world of internet is one of the most important and significant inventions to mankind that one can imagine.  The transportation industry was transformed by the automobile, entertainment industry was enhanced with the television, and worldwide information is instantly transformed by the worldwideweb on the internet.  It is truly amazing what the internet has done to change entire lives nationwide and worldwide.  So why do we grumble?  Why?  Programming, what else?

Trying to get a voicemail personalized with a greeting requires that I have a passcode. Where the heck and why the heck do I need a passcode to say Hello.  I am not available to answer the call.  I called Sprint and she told me a possible code to use...did not work...when did this happen? When did I make a code to use voicemail?

Trying to get security on a phone means I had to use a former server who when I finally accessed the system had to give a screen name and password, and guess what, my screenname already exists.  Like yeah, what has that got to do with this security on this phone?  So what?  It means that I do not have security because their dumb programmer does not realize that we may change phones at some point i time and allowed us to access our old accounts.  What the expletive?  Cause I am going vulgar and swear all the time due to these idiots in the world of programming the stupid idiotic screen names and passwords, and passcodes...are they really insane?
So this even gets worse.  You know that I have always believed that my original laptop has never been cleared of a virus. I understand that once you have a virus, the system is never cleaned from it.  So as IYOGI once intervened to let me know that someone had hacked into my computer to create a program for me that I had not ordered I had had to have the bank help me to solve that problem...guess what...IYOGI reared up today to tell me to disinstall McAFEE from my computer. They think it is for my computer when it is for my phone but since it is only a week's trial, I may disinstall if it is a problem.
But it told me that IYOGI is still watching my activity on my gmail account...what the heck?

I guess I may have to use them after all for everything including phone...but after watching the movie The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel in India I would not want to trust anyone anywhere anymore with any computer problems....I am leery of everyone worldwide now.

I will have to find someone at either Sprint or Best Buy to help after all.  I did well most of the time by myself but a guy at Sprint was very nice to help me on the problem with my photos after being transferred.  I could scream but it turns out once in a while a nice guy pops up.  Who knew?

I have found some new apps. Songza for music, NNotes for memos and journal writing, instagram, a whole new world awaits in appland...So how can we complain when things are so good? Because we want and demand perfection....

3 comments:

  1. Dear Janet,

    iYogi does not monitor anything except system performance. iYogi does give you a full PC maintenance suite when you subscribe to iYogi, called Support Dock. The PC maintenance suite is for you to use. Support Dock automatically checks for the following, disk fragmentation, junk file build up, temporary file build up, start up processes and other things that slow down a PC. It also checks energy usage by your computer and connected devices. It stores of all of this in a dashboard for you to view.

    We're very concerned by the information you were provided. iYogi actively recommends users to install, use and update their security software. What you've described is the opposite.

    Can you give us some more details like how iYogi reared up? Was it via email or by phone? If email then can you forward it to us? If phone and you remember the number from which it came, can you send it to us?

    Our email is iYogiCare@iyogi.com. If you can send this to us we will certainly look into this.

    Thanks for writing about this incident and making us aware of it.

    Regards
    Customer Service Team
    iYogi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear IYOGI,

    I talked with a representative of IYOGI today on the telephone about the incident. The message from IYOGI was printed in red directly above my GMAIL message box. It said specifically to disinstall McAFEE. I have MCAFEE as a trial for 7 days for my mobile phone, not for the computer. I had tried to get Lookout but because my screen name already exists, I could not get the program to start. If IYOGI served mobile phones I would consider using IYOGI.

    I remember well the message and the service I received from IYOGI several years ago. At present I am using microsoft security in two computers. The security service is free through microsoft but I am quite aware that a problem remains in the original computer. I do not use it very much for that reason. Thanks for your telephone call and your comment. I appreciate your concern and am wishing you good karma also.

    Janet Fauble

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, using Microsoft as your security program against Microsoft-created security holes would certainly give me the heebie-jeebies. I hate to say it again, but some operating systems are simply more secure than others for a variety of reasons. Microsoft's, unfortunately, rather consistently comes "up" at the bottom of the barrel. I can honestly say that in more than 20 years of owning and using many Macs, I have NEVER had an account hacked or received a virus other than the Microsoft-enabled Word Macro-Virus (which is why some programmers derisively call VBA a "Virus Building Application").

    What you probably need to do is frequently back up your most important data to an external harddrive. You also need to learn how to either boot your computer from your installer DVD and/or how to boot into Windows Safe Mode or whatever they are calling it these days to catch anything you didn't backup from the last backup. You will probably need to learn how to hose your drive when necessary and how to reinstall the operating system and your files and any apps you have that didn't come with the computer.

    If you are out in a public place somewhere using their wifi, turn BluTooth off; it is notoriously insecure and can allow people to snoop on your computer activities, including any passwords you enter or use. When you are browsing the web, use https:// instead of http:// as the former is more secure. Any reputable webpage that's asking for a login and password and/or financial information will nearly require it, and if they don't allow it, well, that's not a good sign.

    HTH, Judy

    ReplyDelete