Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Monday, November 12, 2012

Post Abortion, Catholics, President and Pope

I wrote  two pieces in response to an ongoing discussion.  I have a great respect for the Holy Catholic Church with regard to its faithfulness in keeping the doctrine of Jesus Christ alive and well, and perpetuated throughout time in good faith and lovingness.  I also have a certain kind of respect and admiration for the government of the United States in its fluid state of administration since it evolves and changes from generation to generation.

However, in good conscienceness, I no longer participate in communion services or even in attendance at the local parish.  I have too many sincere disagreements with the pronouncements of the Bishops and the Pope regarding issues about which I feel strongly; therefore, I do not particpate in any but a total spiritual communion. I recognize that Jesus said where two or three are gathered in my name, I am with you always throughout time.  I understand that concept, and I understand fully the reason for the sacrament of communion.  It should be celebrated once a year in my opinion instead of daily but it is the centerpiece of the mass, so the practice continues.

When I was teaching, we said every single day without fail the pledge of allegiance to the United States. It was the first thing we did in the morning before the regular classes began.  After a time, even the pledge of allegiance to the United States became a rote, mechanical exercise.   It is the same in the church that after a time even Holy Communion becomes a mechanical rather than a meaningful experience.

When Jesus instituted the practice he was a living man sitting in  front of his disciples explaining a simple relationship between his own person and the staples of life, bread and wine.  Jesus in some ways was like the Greek god Dionysus in his use of wine for the purpose of reminding the apostles that he was sustenance for the soul.

The Catholic faith has a history of priests who have given their lives to preserve what they believe to be the living body of Jesus Christ in the form of the sacrament yet because of the nature and size of the church, the wine is given only to the priests and not to the people.  This in itself is almost a form of insult against the sacrament itself...that the people should have to take only the bread and not the wine. In protestant churches both are given and understood as symbolic of the body of Jesus.  The apostles knew full well that they were partaking of unleavened bread and wine when Jesus sat in person before them...When did the Church cease to realize that is what I have often wondered.

I know that my cousin Jimmy wants me to attend church for fellowship. I believe that fellowship is the result in a church where the congregation truly love one another. When my grandfather died, I was so impressed with the Pentecostal church who came to my grandmother in her time of need and supplied our family with pies, cakes, salads, and all kinds of home made goods to give comfort to my grandmother.  I truly saw that their goodness is what makes church so wonderful despite the fact that I do not like the style of heavy handed preaching. I could see that the minister and his wife (a Russian) truly were good and decent people, sincere and faithful in their own way to their belief in the Jesus that they taught.

Granted, the minister's wife did not like the fact that my hair was bleached at the time. She was downright forthright and honest about it. I overlooked it, knowing that vanity is thought to be a sin in some circles, and it is Biblical, but also knowing that despite their humble ways, I would still continue to bleach my hair.

Like Sandy in the movie Grease, I had become a bad girl.  I smoked, drank, partied, danced, and bleached my hair.  To the devout, I was dreadful.  Yet, inside me,I was possibly more religious than they could ever know...I live my religious belief of being good to one another through doing it rather than any other way.   And I do not shout it out to the world, or even talk about it...I know that God sees in secret.

This will be continued. 

No comments:

Post a Comment