Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Acting as Regent at age 16

I am actually writing these on blogger for a reason...one, most will probably be altered and changed a lot for a first draft is just pooping out the thoughts on paper to take up and rework...so I am not really afraid to share now that enough time has passed as it is helping me to see where my mistakes and errors are and also what needs to be deleted and added to pep it up a bit...so I will write it here and share some excerpts when I feel like sharing. Otherwise, the only people to read it will be those who are really interested in it...so here goes when Alexander is regent in first person instead of third person...it is his journal speaking. I also wrote a different version of this same event in third person...Usually I wrote two versions of an event trying to determine which will be best... The campaign at Perinthos was very grueling. The clanging noise of battle is far greater than imaginative poets write in books, poems, and hymns.I felt it ringing in my ears. War games creates in me a wave of excitement that drives me into a fury so that when I am fighting I rush headlong into a charge against the enemy that even I don't always realize how deadly this fight will be. Yes, I had had training and skill in animal hunts and kills, even in hunting down men, but never is one truly prepared for the first taste of battle. I was told to stay behind and to be an observer until I felt I could really participate to win. Nobody can ever do that when once the battle begins, as I did let older soldiers advance so that I could follow behind to back them up. But as I gained a little experience, my natural tendency to go up front got the better of me, and before I knew it, I found myself alongside many a far better trained and experienced soldier than I am. But when defeating an enemy means striking and killing as quickly as one can or the soldier behind you may die, I go for the victory with a zest so that I slew many soldiers who were coming to slay me. I was possibly over zealous but essentially, I had more to prove than just that I was ready to fight. * Because I proved myself so well, my father decided that I should return to Pella to act as regent in his behalf. * I went back to Pella to take up office administration. Whether he knew it or not, father did me a favor then despite my longing to be in battle. I learned very quickly all the state business and before I knew it, a problem arose in Southern Thrace so that I was able to use the armed forces that were left in Pella to quell an uprising that had begun. *Since I was left in command, I ordered the army to go to Thrace to put down a rebellion that was underway there. I sent scouts ahead to report back to me exactly how many troops were stationed there so that I would know the number of men to take to control the region. Scouting is one of the more important aspects of winning a battle. One must have a true account of what to expect so the persons who are sent as scouts must be totally trustworthy and capable of gaining information without being discovered by the enemy. * While they were on their mission, I began ordering the military to prepare for battle. That meant preparing supplies, armor, weapons, horses, and wagons to carry us to battle. I had followed the long train that had gone to Perinthos so I knew well all that was necessary for a shorter journey. Soon everything was arranged while we waited for the scouts to return with their report. I did not want to take an excess number of soldiers or horses but I certainly did not want to go short either. * I prepared my prayers and sacrifices for the gods, for surely I realized that this was an opportune moment for me to demonstrate my strengths and prowess after I had just faced the Persians in Perinthos. I truly believed that the gods were preparing me for great battles so that this was a test of my ability to prove that I am well prepared to fight at home as well as in some distant land. * I did intend that we would outnumber their troops no matter how many that they might have, so I ordered several regiments to be ready at a moment's notice. It would be no ordinary skirmish. We were going to dominate, and with a might and power so that it would end rapidly. * I was highly charged not only because it was my chance to prove that I am as capable as Father, but also because I would gain the trust and respect of my soldiers. Therefore, I met with each soldier individually. I learned each man's name. I sat down with him, discussed his importance to me, and made certain that each and every soldier knew that I expected him to return to Pella alive. * By the time I had finished my rounds, discussing what must be done in this skirmish, the scouts returned with their report so that we marched immediately. * I explained to my select leaders what I expected them to do, and I relied upon them to accept my orders so that they could order their own troops as I had directed. For that reason, I included my fellow classmates to accompany me on this occasion so that they would get their first taste of battle. However, it was the older, more seasoned men of war who bore the responsibility to listen to my orders and to achieve my goals for me. * I then instructed my friends, Hephaestion, Perdiccas, Philotas, Leonnatus, Ptolemy, and Selephonus to join me, each in a different group so that they would finally fight their first battle with me. *Together, we stealthily approached the small town that was under siege. It was nightfall so we rested our horses, and again scouted the region to prepare for a battle. Again, I made my sacrifices and devotions to the Gods Zeus, Athena, Dionysus, and Apollo. I prayed as I have never prayed before. This was my first battle on my own, and I wanted the gods to provide me with a victory. * Learning that the town was quiet, that their troops were lulled to a rest and were unaware of our presence, we took our positions, prepared our weapons, quieted our horses, and gained some rest for ourselves as well. *As the sun rose,we were readying for battle. Everyone was in full battle armor, weapons secured, and infantry and cavalry together approached the city. Cries broke the silence of the morning as the armies there began to waken and raise one another up. They had no idea that we had circled the entire city and were about to bear down upon them. We had them caught. They had one choice: surrender or die. It would have been a rout. But the sight of my men fully prepared with weapons bearing down on them caused them to run and try to flee as quickly as possible. Many simply surrendered. A few fought back, trying to show some sense of defense, but most gave up. They were outnumbered. They had no way out. I proved that a strategic offense is more powerful than a mighty defense. They had no defense whatsoever. * I renamed the city Alexandropolis for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment