Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Persian Ambassadors are Coming

The Palace was being prepared for the reception of the Persian ambassadors. Philip was gone but Olympias was in charge, ordering everyone who is on duty to take command of their respective responsibilties in preparing the Palace for the visitors. * The chambermaids had to clean all the rooms by hand, rearrange all the furnshings so that every divan, stool, and bench was properly in place. All the statues of the gods were carefully repositioned so that upon entry each would appear in order of majesty and rank. The main reception room was filled with incense, perfumes, and fragrance to awaken the senses of the ambassadors to the purpose of this visit. * Zeus welcomed the incoming ambassador who had to feel humble and small when approaching the vestry. The power of Zeus is evident through his oversized statue, his awesome and bright stare, his lofty attitude. The Persians are not subject to the gods of Greece but they would feel their power when ushered through the halls that boasted all the stauary that represented each god and goddess. * "Alexander," Olympias called out." I will entertain the Persian ambassadors and then call you in to meet them." Olympias was wearng a very offical gown that designated her reign as Queen. She was dressed in ea sheer layered white chiton which was embroidered along the shoulders and the sides in golden threads. She wore her hair in a braid that was coiled at the base of her neck, and she covered her face with a thin white veil. She word golden cords at the waist which fell to her side. She walked with the grace of a dancer as she welcomed the Persian ambassadors. *Alexander had selected a comfortable luxurious chiton of his own to wear. He laced his sandals, slipped into his light tan garment, and prepared to meet the ambassadors. He wore the few medals that he had won at sporting events upon his breast to show his prowess at games. * The Persians were fashionably attired in glorious rich fabrics of gold, marroon, and purple. Each one was dressed in extremely shiny fabrics that gleamed in the the light of the sun. They dressed in pantaloons which covered their legs. In comparison to the Macedonians, they appeared rich and opulent. Alexander dressed quite simply in contrast. Macedonians were always bare armed and barelegged. * Alexander remembered when he had met the ambassadors earlier on their mission to free three of their hostages. He had changed so much since that visit that he wondered if he should remind them that he had met with them earlier. Now that he was Regent and his mother was Queen, he wanted to impress the ambassadors with his position and experience. He decided that he would mention the earlier visit to prove that he had remembered them. If remembering them was flattery, then he intended to flatter them. * Alexander looked every inch the young Prince. His hair gleamed in the sunlight, and lay in golden curls down the back of his neck. Standing erect as a soldier at attention, displaying hard muscles in arms and legs, Alexander waited for his mother to bid him entry to the grand reception room. He surveyed the accommodations and approved his mother's handiwork at setting up a banquet tale laden with fruits, nuts, wine, breads, olives, sweet meats, and custards, yogurt, crepes, baklava, and pastries. She had placed large, voluminous pillows all around the floor of the room where the Ambassadors could sit and relax while being entertained after the feast. * He heard the sound of trumpets in the dsitance, signaling that Olympias and her guests were about to enter the Palace. Alexander returned to his own room briefly to freshen his appearance, to check to see if he had forgotten anything, and then quickly returned to the reception area to be summoned by his mother to greet the ambassadors. *"Ah, Alexander," Olympias called to him. "Please do come to meet our honored guests." She turned to the Persians and said, " I see that Alexander has come to greet you. Let me introduce you now." * As Alexander strode into the room, the sun penetrated the room to send beads of light through Alexander's golden hair, giving him a sense of divinity. An air of expectancy was met with a gasp of delight from one of the Persian men who nodded to Alexander when he formally courtsied and greeted them with a low bow. Each went down on bended knee to show honor and respect, and then rose, and took his hand, kissing it lightly. "Oh, Prince Alexander how you have changed since we last met you and conversed with you." exclaimed the eldest of the four. "You have grown so much. It is a great honor to meet with you again." *"Gentlemen, I assure you that it is my pleasure to have the honor of your visit here," returned Alexander. "Come. Let us enjoy dining and then we shall have talented entertainers to treat you." He turned to Olympias, and said, "Mother, lead us to the banquet tables, please." Olympias complied immediately, "Yes, my son. Follow me, Gentlemen."

3 comments:

  1. You should read Fire From Heaven to see the way Mary Renault portrayed this scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She did? I had no idea what that book is about. So it is about Alexander. Hmmm. I did read Persian Boy. I also read Nature of Alexander but I have not read Fire From Heaven. hmph. I really have read only a few fiction books, none of which are very memorable. The trilogy by Manfredi is mild. Judith French wrote a book I read but have forgotten. I am going to go through his entire life. I use both third person and first person but may change it all. I don't know how or why I was able to find his spiritual life but I was and it affected me. He is not the only one. But his is interesting and I view him in a certain light. To me, he is much stronger and much harder than people think. Philip was a mean man with his troops and Alexander was just as tough. They led a harsh lifestyle. Philip killed one of his young soldiers just due to insolence. I wrote that but decided not to publish it but it did happen. My version of Olympias is that she is a Queen and radiated it. I like her actually. She took thessalonici in when her mother died and actually was kind to her mother. So what I am doing is writing anecdotes about each story that is mentioned in BIOS. If I like it, I may use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She did? I had no idea what that book is about. So it is about Alexander. Hmmm. I did read Persian Boy. I also read Nature of Alexander but I have not read Fire From Heaven. hmph. I really have read only a few fiction books, none of which are very memorable. The trilogy by Manfredi is mild. Judith French wrote a book I read but have forgotten. I am going to go through his entire life. I use both third person and first person but may change it all. I don't know how or why I was able to find his spiritual life but I was and it affected me. He is not the only one. But his is interesting and I view him in a certain light. To me, he is much stronger and much harder than people think. Philip was a mean man with his troops and Alexander was just as tough. They led a harsh lifestyle. Philip killed one of his young soldiers just due to insolence. I wrote that but decided not to publish it but it did happen. My version of Olympias is that she is a Queen and radiated it. I like her actually. She took thessalonici in when her mother died and actually was kind to her mother. So what I am doing is writing anecdotes about each story that is mentioned in BIOS. If I like it, I may use it.

    ReplyDelete