Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Monday, May 28, 2012

Two mothers Olympias and Lanice

I actually had two mothers, my natural mother, and my foster mother who breastfed me as an infant and who is my governness. Lanice spent her time caring for me when my mother was performing official duties as Queen and ruler of the court. My mother, Olympias, is a very regal woman whose sense of duty is strong. Therefore, she responds to the dutiful tasks that must be done to maintain the decorum and business of the court when Father is away in battle somewhere. Because of that I spent many hours with Lanice who looked after my personal needs, feeding me, bathing me, clothing me, and nurturing me with love and patience. Mother would visit me in my bedroom to be certain that I was well and healthy but my closest and most personal contact was with Lanice and her family. * Lanice actually spent more hours with me, holding me, teasing me, cheering me, loving me openly and steadfastly than did my natural mother. I learned how to crawl, how to walk, how to stand, and all with Lanice watching over me and guiding me. Whenver I fell down, stumbled, or struck some object, it was Lanice who would pick me up, mend my wounds, wipe my tears, and rock me to sleep. I grew up depending upon Lanice and her family to help me through my childhood. * One time in particular, I hd had a bad time with one of my tutors, so I ran to Lanice crying that I did not want him to teach me anything any longer. Lanice sighed, "Oh, Alexander. What am I to do with you now? Com on now...you will get over this very soon." * I naturally put up a fuss and stamped my foot angrily and said, "No, I have had enough of him. I don't want to work with him anylonger. he has gone too far this time." * She shook her head wisely and said,"Now, Alexander, I know better. You can and will be able to work with him but you must find a way to convince him to trust you. I will see what i can do about it myself, but don't let this get the best of you."* Later, I went to Mother and told her about the incident that had so upset me. The difference between her and Lanice is absolutely amazing to me. She simply said, "Let me know if it happens again. If it does, he will be terminated. We will find another tutor for you." *She did not try to make me feel anything but justified in wanting to get a new tutor. I loved her that much more for simply trusting my word and wanting to help me.

1 comment:

  1. Lanike was the sister of Black Cleitus who Alexander killed in an angry confrontation in Asia. Watch the tone of your monologue and dialogues. Some of it sounds very 'modern'. (But perhaps thats the way you want it.)

    ReplyDelete