Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Alexander as character in novel

I finished my first draft some time ago. I have let it rest for some time.  There are many reasons.  One, I wrote two or three different ways of presentation, am not yet decided upon exactly how I will finally bring it together...The basic skeleton of the novel is there with some character development, but I am having to rethink my opening chapter.  I am reading that the opening chapter, in fact the first page, determines whether people will want to read it or not.  I jump from third person to first person, and I have to rework that in a way that will be enjoyable and comprehensible.

 Characters in his life in his childhood are many: parents Philip and Olympias, caretaker is Lanice, teachers are three primarilyLysimachos, Leonidas, and Aristotle.   He had a sister Cleopatra who was also Olympias's daughter, and a brother Arrhideus, a half brother.  In fact, he had several half brothers and sisters from his wives numerous wives and mistresses, but for this book I use so far only Cleopatra.  He met with many people in the course of his youth who befriended him when he seemed to need them.  One was the man who bought his horse Bucephalus for him, another was a man who caused his father to send for him to return from exile when he had left the  Palace after a rift between him and his father, and then he knew his father's generals, Parmenio, and Parmenio's son, Philotas.  He met other boys when he attended the school of pages and studied with Aristotle.  Some of these who were sons of generals in his father's army he had known from childhood.  Amongst his friends and classmates were Hephaestion, Craterus,  Harpolos, Ptolemy, Perdiccas, Leonnatus, and others.  In my novel I have him knowing every stable hand, groom, and gardener, cook, attendant, all who worked in or near the Palace.  He meets up with Demosthenes in person, members of the Persian King's entourage, ambassadors to Pella, exiled king Artabazus and his daughter  Barsine, and Rhodian General, Memnon

As a young child, he was precocious, apparently doted upon by both parents, and adored and loved by his friends.  Many different scholars treat him in a variety of ways.  My book is to be considered fiction, but when I have an opportunity I occasionally write of an experience that I had in my trips to the past.  In that way, I was able to see his relationship to Philip, who plays a very major role in this novel as he is the reason for Alexander's success as a soldier.  But Alexander is a strong willed man who has a mind of his own, and while he learns all the discipline from his father, learns how to develop his own skills, he remains true to his inner self, which is totally different from that of his father.  Conflicts are abundant in his childhood because of his father's behaviour, absence from the Palace due to his military calling, and as Alexander grows he becomes influenced by the strictness of his teachers, the imagination of Lysimachos, and the close and warm attachment to his mother who totally lives for him and his success.

1 comment:

  1. Again, I am thinking aloud but I am also trying to reach a few people who need to know something about Alexander if they will only read it...

    ReplyDelete