Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Novelists and Authoring Part 4

As an avid reader, I know that readers get hooked on the subject matter that each one of us enjoys. I grew up loving mysteries. I continue to like mysteries, having gone from Nancy Drew to Agatha Christie to Sue Grafton. I even like Lillian Jackson Browne's cat series books. I loved to read, to be led on a merry chase, love to try to outwit the author by figuring the mystery out...my one criticism of Nancy Bilyeau's mystery is that I knew from the first who both victim and killer were as it was too obvious to me...I like being held in suspense which is something that the young Sue Grafton could do so well...she changed as she aged also, as do all writers...and their stories reflect their own aging process. Especially the cat series where in the first books I could tell how much the author loved her cats. The point is that I, as an author, have to consider that if I really want to make money at this that I must think in terms of series. I realize that readers do become addicted to characters, plots, and fantasies. That is the only way that authorship can truly pay. Actually, I had always hope for the Margaret Mitchell Gone with the Wind one shot only but if one studies James Rollins, Steve Berry, and Clive Cussler, and other successful novelists, one learns that multiple books are the true success story of any author.

No comments:

Post a Comment