Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Monday, June 11, 2012

The Triple Crown

I had not wanted to state my feelings about the fact that I'll Have Another had been scratched from the Belmont Stakes race, but I am still rather annoyed about the entire thing. I had been very upset when the veterinarian group which asked the stewards to allow I'll Have Another to wear a nasal strip was denied the request by the stewards. I felt as though that was a bad sign that they were not interested in the welfare of the horse. This horse had worn that strip to help prevent bleeding through the nose in each of his races. I know what bleeding does to one as I suffer it occasionally personally, and if there is anything that could help prevent it, I would not want to be told that I could not use it. Bleeding through the nose is a serious problem, like it or not. I felt that New York truly was saying that they did not want this horse to win the Belmont Stakes. Later, adding further insult to injury, they decided that each of the horses had to be moved from one barn to what was called a detention barn. At that point, I believe that the entire body of trainers should have objected outright. New York should not have the right to make rules to suit themselves which in my opinion looks like rigging it for one of their own, which is exactly what happened, with a lot of help from Mike Smith. I do believe that I'll Have Another was an easy win in that race, but that the New York officials and gambling interests decided against it. After reading a blog from one of the bloggers at Belmont Stakes, I believe that the odds game was far more important to the interests of the racing world than the actual event of a Triple Crown. It has gotten so that big returns are the real reason for horses to race, and glory, respect, and honor have flown out the window after Affirmed won the famed trophy, fame, and glory. The racing world should make certain that each track follows the same exact rules and does not try to create phony reasons for bullying the top contender to be removed from the race. Injury or not, I believe that Doug O'Neill was bullied psychologically to leave the Belmont Stakes Race. No honor in that for anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment