Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Follow up to Facing Death essay

The day after I wrote and discussed the problems in facing death I read the story of George Bush's interview with his daughter Jenna on the Today Show at NBC. I had no idea. But one thing that he said in his discussion with his granddaughter is that he had feared falling while standing on a rock fishing. The one thing that I have noticed most of all about growing older is the fear factor. Fear is the single most changed part of me now. I took many risks and few fears when I was young. I drove alone across this country several times, seldom if ever worried about anything at all, and nothing ever happened that would make me afraid. But now I am fearful of walking at night alone not because of anything but one thing...what if I fall, and I cannot get up...what if I do something really stupid and get myself into a situation where I cannot do something for myself. That truly worries me more than anything else so as a consequence I seldom go out alone after dark any more. This is a real problem for as one ages, one has a tendency to fall. If one is alone, and anything serious happened, one can do nothing so I think it is a sensible fear. My mother had always worried about me and I now understand why she had so many fears that way. I realize that in one way she is probably correct. I will have to buy one of those medical alert devices I believe to help out should I ever need to call for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment