Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Day after return to Arizona

A one night vacation, with two half days in  Colorado to spend time with my ailing dad was much needed I realized today after I woke up from a good sleep.

I had been having dreams about Durango and Colorado for a long time so it was rather interesting to learn how easily and quickly one forgets something that one leaves behind.  Memories are selective choice things it appears and dreams are never very well explained. I cannot understand even yet why I have had so many dreams of Durango but at least one was understood when I saw the housing development that had taken place in  a valley immediately behind the entry to the Hillcrest Estate area.

Colorado is a mountainous region, from which there is little escape.  The only area which is not mountainous is directly east of Denver, Colorado Springs, and the Rocky Mountain areas.  The rest of the state had to have been a nightmare for the pioneers of yesterday as it is now even yet a nightmare for vehicles to climb and cross all seasons of the year.  Most of the year is it winter it seems as ice and snow come regularly to this mountainous region of the USA.

I enjoyed the ride from Durango to Cortez which again is totally winding, uphill and downhill as it is very mountainous, which means that it is full of snake curves, many varieties of trees which totally cover the mountainside, and lots of fallen limbs and timber which can come sliding down onto the highway at any time.  There have been wildfires near Mancos, a small historical town caught halfway between Durango and Cortez, and the blackened and scorched brush and ground revealed the extent of the fire.  Fortunately, rain fell while I was there which helped to fully contain and end the fire in that locale.

Cortez is a very small town which lies on the edge of the state near the fourcorners landmark.  Cortez is also the entry way to the Mesa Verde National Park.  It boasts a mountain called The Sleeping Ute, named for the Indians who are native to the land.  One can see the head dress of the chief and the toes while a huge mound is supposed to his arms crossed across his chest.  He stares up into the Heavens both night and day, letting Heaven rain down upon him, whether in sunshine, snow, or rain.

I stayed in a motel across from the Welcome Center it turns out, and as the Assisted Living Home is across the street from the hospital, it is also on the same street as the Justice Department.  I had to walk from my motel to the Vista Mesa home. It was a long way, a mile or so, and it was pretty much uphill.  I chose the motel because it was the closest I could find to the home. 
Two large parks line the road which leads to the home and the hospital.  There will be an air balloon display in the first week of August.  The park is quite large, very beautifully manicured, and makes a great impression to a first time visitor, this one, in particular.

\he assisted living home is very pretty, very small, and very homey.  There are many bird feeders which line the entry way to the property, and in the back of the complex is a very nice garden area which also boasts a gazebo.  Bird feeders line the fenced landscape along with a variety of plants and flowers.  One can see into the vast Montezuma county countryside from the garden area since there are nothing but open fields which lay behind the building.

I enjoyed the visit. It reminded me of my childhood in Ohio because of its quiet beauty and sparsely populated lifestyle.  It allows one to go to sleep peacefully.  I am sure that that is what my dad is longing to have, peace, quiet, and sleep.  I am hoping that he will finally achieve his earnest desire, so that is why I made the effort to see him while I am able to walk the distance.  I met a fellow resident there who is only two years older than I who is unable to walk.  I learn that I have many blessings.

I have had many grievances about my dad and his treatment of me during the years I have known him.  He and I both know of the history that is between us.  We did not bring any of it up during our conversations with one another.  I realize that he is correct about his impressions of the place. I walked with him several times as all he wants to do is to walk.  I followed him to see what he does and how much it wears him out.

That was on the first day.  My walking uphill to see him on the second day was enough walking for me.  I did not need to do any more than I had already done.  I talked with some others who were waiting for their weekly jaunt to Walmarts.  My dad only goes if he needs something from there, and it is obvious that he needs very little.

I do believe that there are many lifetimes in the past, and that there are many lifetimes to come in the future.  I do not pretend to have all the answers but I have at least discovered many answers to some of the questions for which we seek solu tions and answers.

While my dad protests that he does not believe in God, I believe otherwise now. I am quite certain that he does.

So long as he believes in me, he believes in God.



No comments:

Post a Comment