Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Thursday, July 12, 2012

A Hollywood tangent

People probably tired of my telling them that I have a microphone on me when I would let them know that anything said and done around me would probably end up in a Hollywood movie or a Hollywood t.v. show. 

When I was a student at Michigan State University, I had a sociology class taught by a man name of David Gottlieb.  That means God's Love if you don't know already.  When I was in court reporting, one of my  fellow court reporter students let us know that we were all a bunch of little Morgensterns just because he was our teacher.  In other words, we become the teacher ourselves...something with which one can choose to agree or disagree.  I pretty much thought no, as I had already had two  others who were named Lord and Love.  That thinking makes me God'sLove, Love, Lord and now Morgenstern too. 

But the importance of Gottlieb was that he was a professor who was teaching without a bona fide degree.  That does work at that time at the University of Virginia, the campus which Thomas Jefferson built, but this was at Michigan State University, not Virgina.  Because Gottlieb was an entertainer, he drew many students to his class. He had  a style and a sense of humor that attracted students to him.

I have a few more stories about him, but will let most pass.  He had a brother who was a lawyer and he often commented about the language of legalese.

All professors give papers to write as assignments.  We were all stuck on the planet Mercury and had to write a sociology paper about what life was like for those who lived on Mercury. I don't remember much more than that about that class but I got an A on my paper.  That gave me an A in my class.

I did not know then how this would relate to the entertainment industry.  I soon learned thanks to my students.  I had grown up on American Hollywood movies and realized fully their influence and impact on our lives. Going to Hollywood to visit studios teaches all tourists the falseness of Hollywood as the guides let you know immediately the truth about the film making industry.  It is a town of heartbreak for those who want to be a part of that industry.  I was often as starstruck as anyone but when one sees a few stars up close, one realizes that these are ordinary people doing a job that will soon over magnify their own importance in the minds of others. Stardom becomes as phony as the tinsel and the sets which one visits on a studio tour. 

What I did not know is that the writers apparently become chained like slaves to individuals who somehow or other get noticed while walking through the studios, whether it be movies, or t.v. studios.

Writers are like the little birds that come along and steal the seeds right out of your mouth as they then pen it to the pages of the scripts that they pretend to write.  My students are who finally made me wake up to realize that we as a group were being studied and copied by Hollywood. 

My entire youth could be followed on t.v. and in movies.  In the movie the Candidate with Robert Redford, my dress that I wore to school was used on one of the women in the movie. Later, a man told me that it was all on the clothes.  A dress I wore was copied in the movie with Linda Lovelace called Deep Throat.  I was shocked when I saw it. Mine was long while hers was short.  I was under observation as people loved to tell me, and I soon learned that that was a fact, not a rumor.  A dress I wore to LaJolla, California for the March of Dimes, was seen worn by Goldie Hawn.  Actually, that dress was given to me by a friend so I often have wondered, but I have the photo yet of a publicity stunt in which the dress I wore is a match for the one that Goldie wears in a publicity stunt also.

I may as well say yes, that I did sit and listen to a speech given by then Dr.Jonas Salk, who invented the Polio vaccine. That is probably one of the more significant people I have traveled to see for a publicity stunt to help a cause. Another who I met later was Margaret Mead at a conference for women in the Teacher's Union.  The union did pay my fee for that trip to see Margaret Mead. I will credit them when credit is due.









No comments:

Post a Comment