Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Monday, July 16, 2012

Supermarkets versus gardens

I bought some plums today at Walmart.  I just cannot stand the way growers pick fruit when still unripe so that when I buy it, it is still unripened.  I love ripe fruit for its natural sweetness.

I did notice the other day while traveling on the local bus a small garden in someone's back yard.  Huge sunflowers were growing there. I wondered what kind of plants thrived there.  The sunflowers were doing well and were placed so that one knew that they were there to give shade to the rest of the garden plants. I loved seeing a garden, knowing that someone really cared about their plants and vegetables enough to protect them from the western sun. 

We had wild strawberries which were the sweetest tasting berries that you can imagine. No packaged boxes of strawberries from any company can come close to tasting as good as those sweet small berries.  I have eaten blackberries straight off the bush which also are sweet and delicious when homegrown.  Berries in boxes have little flavor, and are often tart instead of sweet. I want natural sweetness.  Cantaloupe and watermelon follow in the same category but luckily one local dealer does often have melons that are fully ripened and sweet.

Olathe corn from Colorado is the best sweet corn that money can buy in this part of the country.  There are other varieties as Michigan also boasted sweet corn that was super good. I did learn a secret from my cousin which turned out to work.  Place a tablespoon of sugar into the water when boiling corn to retain its sweetness.  It did work for me.

Here is to everyone having a satisfying summer enjoying all the fruits and vegetables that hopefully come from your own backyard.  Wish I could say the same but sorry, I have to shop around.

No comments:

Post a Comment