Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Marcello and Alexander

I heard the slam of a door which woke me up immediately!  What the heck!  The bedroom door was closed, so I jumped out of bed to see Marcello, my white half Persian/Siamese cat clawing at the bag of food that I had just placed there.  He was trying to get into that bag.  Some of the cereal had spilled onto the rug and he was furiously eating each bit up as fast as he could.  A hole was at the bottom of the bag so I grabbed the bag, took it into the kitchen, holding the bottom up so no more of the cereal could spill out, and checked his food bowl.  One bowl was empty but the other had cereal in it.  Why didn't he go for that?  No idea, but he had managed to push the door open to get behind it so that he could get to the bag.  No dummy, that cat. He knew right where it was and what he wanted.  Since it was a small bag I stuffed it into the larger bag which is now at empty so that no more of the food would spill out onto the floor. 

Then I had made an appointment to take him to the Vet.  My other cat has had all his shots, been neutered, and weighed and cared for with a veterinarian plan that can be paid over the course of a year.  The plan covered all his shots, neutering, and any medicines that he might need as well as offering discounts.  It was very costly.  When I took Marcello in, I  do not know if he had ever had any shots at all, since Sandra does not take them to the vet but thinks that she can give the shots to them herself.  I don't think that she bothers.  So I just assumed that Marcello had done without. 

Many times I have tried to put him a carrier that I had bought for Alexander when Alexander was just a small kitten.  Alexander has grown so big now that he cannot fit into that carrier.  Each and every time I tried to put Marcello into it, he would not let me put him in.  Surprise! Today just when it was time to go, he suddenly turned angel and went into the carrier without  a murmur.  Don't think that they don't understand.  They are intelligent little kittens and do understand well.

He was as good as gold at the vets. Never gave a murmur when he had his shots. He didn't like have his temp taken and was a bit squeamish but we held him and she got it.  He was in good health, the vet liked his weight and appearance, and found a bit of infection in his ears, so that he has an ointment to use for the next week.  All went  well, and they gave me an estimate of what the cost of neutering will be.  Since they do not do the same procedure as the other hospital, it does not appear to require anaesthesia so that the cost is much lower than the other place where Alexander had his done. 

That makes me very happy.

Poor Alexander. I had no idea what he thought when he was left home alone.  But he was cheered when we got back. I think maybe he felt abandoned.  He and his brother are very close and Alexander allows Marcello to eat his food. Marcello is the more aggressive of the two, but then Alexander will bat him with his paw when he thinks that Marcello is taking advantage of him. I love watching them.  They are very fascinating in the way they behave towards me and each other.  Marcello is a little lover.  Alexander is a bit of a baby yet.  They are both out of the same female cat but they look nothing alike at all.  Alexander is getting very big, long, and wide.  He is utterly beautiful. I now know why people like big animals to hug and hold.  It made me think a lot. Size does matter whether in people or animals. Marcello is smaller and wiry.  The vet's assistant told me to feel his neck.  She could tell that he had been an outdoor cat.  His neck is thick which is what she said is called a tom cat.  I had no idea.  He is strong as steel.  He climbed the front screen one time in an effort to get in.  He is incredibly fast and can jump and leap but does not try it except on the ironing board. Alexander jumps on the counter, on the sink, and on the tables. He loves to run and play. Marcello is too serious. He can't be bothered to play.

Yet he loves to sleep in my bed and before he came, Alexander would come in my bed to walk all over me.  Now he won't do it. He is a bit jealous of Marcello at times.  They are competitive.  I think Marcello now realizes he is home.  He knows he is loved. I am happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment