Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Alexander's Pledge at Kos, Greece

I set up a test the other day in my fact or fiction tale about Alexander. Alexander is heralded by some as a great hero and by others as a madman. This woman has written a blog, travel blog, and one of her discoveries is this plaque in Kos, Greece. It can be found at Images, Google, and until I learn again how to transfer a picture from one spot to another, all I can do is to share it at facebook which I just did do.

I will admit that I do not understand Facebook at all. I do not know how one keeps everything that one puts onto one's profile page. Where does it all go?

I just know that I am making a reference to it here now so that I can find my way back to it, and I am sharing it at Facebook to be in my profile.

The writer made a strange statement about Alexander when she said that she knows little about history but that this is a strange statement of peace coming from a man who is known for his military lifestyle.

I found that rather interesting to consider.

I did find some interesting images being displayed at Pothos.org just now but I did not comment on any as I had found a book at Waldenbooks that angered me a lot when reading the copy. I would have bought the book except for the copy written in it.

It was about Greece, and had a lot of illustrations about most of the famous Greeks of yesterday, including some really great portraits of Philip and naturally of Alexander. Philip is a truly handsome man in my opinion and some of the busts are remarkable, but frankly, most youth of that time period all look alike, and there is little to distinguish one from another. A lot like modern day beauty queens who all look alike, copying each other dismally.

I did deliberately use the name Alcibiades the other day, for a reason, but I finally changed it to the correct name of the person who Alexander did finally punish in his unique way. That is Abulites.

I do believe that the method in my madness may have worked. One reason I always give is a legitimate one, and that is that if someone is using my stuff without my permission, then that person will have to correct the errors made, whether deliberately or unintentionally. I do make errors all the time, and some I do try to correct as I write.

At any rate, this pledge of Alexander intrigued me. It sounds very contemporary and updated to me, but I am sure that it has a history for that town of Kos, which turns out to be the birthplace of Hippocrates.

I am not buying into the belief that Alexander ever did make this statement as it does not sound right to me, a lot like the so called speech of Opis which many do not believe that he ever made.

My question because I had been a trained and skilled court reporter is who on earth was taking the notes while he was speaking, and who recorded it verbatim as he gave it.

Now on that sorry note, I admit that one time in my having to go back into time and relive this man's life, I actually did go through one entire speech that I relived it, saying it exactly as he said it, and frankly, nobody but nobody wants to ever do that if they can help it, but I remembered doing it, how I felt, and how I acted, as I am in Alexander at that time, and I did it so totally different from the way that it sounds that I was totally amazed at it when I realized it. It was one of defeat, resignation, and submission, and deep sorrow. I was angry but I did not shout, scream, go into hysterics, which the speech itself makes people believe that I had done at that time. In fact, it was quite the reverse of an impassioned speech, but more a protest, a defense, and an announcement of total disgust and deepseated anger at both my men and myself...I did not leave in a snarling way, but a disgusted manner, and I have always remembered it as such.

Nobody likes to give in. Especially me...I won't give in even now on a project that i have worked hard and long. That was an especially cruel moment in Alexander's life and I understand it very well...but once done, as Caesar said, the die is cast, one cannot look back, but one must carry on...but in the meantime, one must heal one's own wounds as well...which Alexander did and he finally won out eventually, but probably not ever truly at all...

Man, am I thinking on this? I just realized what I am doing and saying as I get so involved at times, I relive it all again...I am thinking of what it had been for me when I had to throw in the towel as we call it now...and I am thinking as I had when I had been in that time in that person...I hope anyone who reads this understands this problem of being in that time and then pulling back into this time...it is any easy lapse to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment