Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Sorority Rush

So because I am some kind of big wheel on campus, I was sought after by the Greeks who dominate the social life of college. Kent had only eight houses on campus, and all were very well know for a reputation that each incoming freshman comes to learn eventually. Some beautiful women choose to stay independent and do not go through rush, a system of a house filling its quota of girls for friendship and scholarship, and the girls go through to decide which house is the one to which they will be most liked and comfortable.

Now I did not ever truly feel that I am a big wheel at all, but a fraternity guy told me that once, and so I accepted his word for it. I had learned the reputation of each house, but because of my roommate and her friends who came to visit quite often, I began to know them and like them. I wanted to become a member of her house more than I could imagine...at that point in my life, that was the most important thing in my life, belonging to the sorority system that I wanted.

Rush was fun,but I caught cold that week, and here I am, going from house to house, with a runny nose, sneezing, coughing, and trying to interview members from each sorority and as we went, we had to eliminate some, and accept the fact that some of them would eliminate us also.

There is a house known as rich and snobby, another house known as beautiful and bright, another known for its queens, another for its playgirl aspects, another known for having suffered a punishment, and having few members, another for its swimming pool, and another for being athletic and wholesome...I wanted to be with Barb, my roomie, and Edie, her friend...

Was there ever a chance that I would be cut? Who is to know? I wanted to wear the X and a horseshoe, to be a Chi Omega...

Yes, both Mary Ann Mobley and Lynda Lee Mead were Chi Omega's at University of Mississippi, but they came after I became a member.

No comments:

Post a Comment