Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Rush Week

The final ceremony of rush week is the time when the girls at each house are down to two houses, and at each important final meeting, they know that they will belong to this house. If they get a bid, and it is very likely that each house is well aware of which girls will join it.

Chi Omega is number one at Kent State University at that time...It probably is even today because it is the first national women's fraternity to begin a chapter on campus. There is much pride in the house and it is a great honor to be invited to join the system.

My pledge class was activated into membership on May 4, 1958. It was on May 4, 1970 that the Kent State confrontation with the governor happened. That has always bothered me to realize that on the twelfth anniversary of my becoming a XO that a massacre took place there while I am in California teaching at Gladstone High School.

My students noticed it before I did, because I had placed my yearbooks in my cabinet at school where they could see them and use them...they were who made me aware of what had happened that day in the spring of 1970.

Now If I were to get really creative here, I could write the following:

Hey, Miss Fauble, did you hear the news?

No, I replied, what happened? What are you talking about?

"They had a shooting."

"What kind of shooting? Who had a shooting?"

I thought of you right away...didn't you go to Kent State University?"

Yeah, so?"

Some kids got shot down in a protest..."

What? What kind of protest? What are you talking about?

Oh, some protest about the war...you kmow?

I was stunned...what did this have to do with me?

Where did this happen?

At Kent State...where you went to school...


Oh My word! Tell me about it...

No comments:

Post a Comment