Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Ozymandias

At Kent State University, I once helped a dormitory mate of mine to analyze the poem Ozymandias written by Percy Bysse Shelley. This is a beautiful poem, and it has a lot of meaning to it. But twice in my life, I have done things that I have regretted, and one is with Ozymandias, the poem, and the other with Odysseus, the poem. I did the same for both, and that is to help someone else with their homework. Both taught me a lesson.

So I was always surprised to see Ozymandias in the movie The Watchmen as it is a key word that always wakes me up from slumber also.

Ozymandias is a symbol of a position in life that is always high and mighty but that ends up with only a finale that is lost in the sands of time to be forgotten and neglected for all time.

This is used in the film, along with the poem that is attached to the bust which is Ozymandias.

I always think of my being a "bit of a sap" who can never say know when asked to help in a situation...

Did I learn a lesson? In some ways...I found a kind of irony when I saw the movie and read the comic book. It made me think of that music teacher who had told me about the comic book writer Al Kapp who wrote Lil ABner...

At any rate, Ozymandias is a great poem. I analyzed it to death!No matter who you may be, ultimately you will be long forgotten. I would add Enjoy it while you have it..

The moral of my blog is the opposite it would appear. Enjoy life for you may be able to remember all the good times after all...store your treasures in Heaven and they will remain immortal...I have learned that for myself, a much better lesson than some English poet's.

No comments:

Post a Comment