Yours Truly

Yours Truly
Janet Fauble at home

Friday, July 23, 2010

Alexander's digs

While I am up writing now, I may as well continue with more on Alexander. I will try to post some of my sketchwork, poor that it is. Because many times, I had distinct visions of military garb pass in front of my eyes. Believe me, in Alexander's life, besides his horse Bucephalus, which I will recount in a minute, he had his mind on wearing apparel for himself and his army foremost. I have never seen so many cuirasses in my life until I tapped into Alexander.

I had again fallen asleep on the couch in front of the t.v. and back I was in time as a young boy, listening to my father Philip. My father loved women. He could not get enough of two things when he isn't fighting a battle somewhere, and that is wine and women. He could never ever control his appetite for both. He had come to talk to me for a brief while, as I had just won the right to own my own horse Bucephalus by taking him for a ride and staying on him! He had been a cantankerous horse, never allowing anyone to come near him, and literally afraid of his own shadow. I saw that in him, and so when I had the chance, I jumped on him, took hold, and nudged him to break free and away we flew. I had no fear of him at all, as all he needed was a gentle hand and a firm grasp on his back to be free to gallop in the hills around us. When we came back from our ride everyone was astonished at the fact that I had stayed astride him, that he had not bucked me off, and that I was in control. My father did reward me with giving him to me and so now we were relaxing together reminiscing about the day. But he was tired of me, and let me know it, as he got up leave. He needed his wine and his woman. But I finally have my friend, my own horse, and I named him Bucephalus.

I was dreadfully lonely then. The horse filled my need.


I woke up then, and I realized a few things in that memory. A boy who is destined to become a king suffers a very lonely life, deprived of normal happy friendships.

My father had a great influence on me. I always stayed my own person but I learned everything I knew about leadership from him. He was a great man in his own way, but we were literally as different from one another as night and day.

Philip was a rough man, a tough man. He could not see in the horse what I had seen, and that is what made the difference. I conquered my dad that day. I won my own way at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment